Club announces latest winners in Best CS competition
A small campsite near Aysgarth in the Leyburn district of North Yorkshire has come top in this year’s Best Certificated Site (CS) competition from The Camping and Caravanning Club. Certificated Sites are small, privately run campsites operated exclusively for members of the Club.
Colman’s of Aysgarth took the title after receiving the most nominations from Club members for its overall holiday experience. Nominations for the awards were made in five categories – Best Friendly Club Welcome, Best Hideaway, Best New Site, Best Facilities, and Best CS for Families.
The site, which has stunning views over Wensleydale, has a modern, clean, heated shower block and is within walking distance of a shop and two pubs. There are also some great walks nearby including one to Aysgarth Falls and Bolton Castle, which dates back to the fourteenth century and is famous as the place where Mary Queen of Scots was held prisoner for a six-month period after her escape from Scotland.
Colman’s of Aysgarth is owned and run by husband and wife team Clare and Matt Colman. The campsite is open year-round, and it is one of the Club’s approximately 1,300 Certificated Sites across the UK that are exclusive to members.
Prices at the Club’s network of Certificated Sites start from around £10 per night and range from basic campsites offering waste, water and drainage only, through to full facility sites with hardstanding pitches and electric hook ups, modern facilities and shower blocks.
Clare said: “We’re thrilled to have won this award. We set up our site with no other aim than to open up our land for others to enjoy – I’m chuffed to bits.
“I’ve camped from when I was knee-high to a grasshopper and both my parents were members of the Club. The site we have here spans two acres - It’s a great place for families and we also have bikes and scooters for hire.”
Colman’s of Aysgarth also won the Best Friendly Club Welcome and Best CS for Families in this year’s awards.
Nathan Goodyear, the Club’s Director of Property and Development, said: “Since their first season in 2016, the Colmans’ have worked so hard to create a campsite that’s more than just a place for our members to pitch up and lay their heads.
“It has a perfect setting and provides a warm welcome in the spirit of the Friendly Club so I can see why members voted Colman’s of Aysgarth the best CS for 2019.”
The site has a five-star average rating on TripAdvisor based on 254 reviews while the campsite page on the Club’s website has a five-star average based on the reviews of 41 satisfied customers.
Winners in other categories in this year’s awards include:
• Best CS: Colman’s of Aysgarth (Siteseeker reference: 098/012)
• Best Friendly Welcome: Colman’s of Aysgarth (098/012)
• Best CS for Families: Colman’s of Aysgarth (098/012)
• Best New CS: Whitehall Farm (171/086)
• Best Hideaway CS: The Osiers (197/058)
• Best Facilities CS: Castle Camping (118/197)
For more information on the Club’s Best CS competition and to nominate your favourite CS for an award in next year’s competition visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/bestcs.
For more information of the Colman’s of Aysgarth Certificated Site visit https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campsites/uk/north-yorkshire/leyburn/colmansofaysgarth/.
For more information or images contact us.
Notes for Editors
1. For more information on the Club’s network of Certificated Sites visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/certificatedsites.
2. The Camping and Caravanning Club is 119-years-old and has 103 Club Sites across the UK. Through a partnership with Forestry England and Forest and Land Scotland it also runs a further 15 Camping in the Forest touring sites.
3. Get involved: for inspiration and advice from the Club, follow the Club on Facebook www.facebook.com/thefriendlyclub , like us on Twitter www.twitter.com/campandcaravan or check us out on Instagram, www.instagram.com/campandcaravan.
4. There are more than 1,300 Certificated Sites across the UK, with over 800 of these staying open year-round. Each site is inspected by a Club Site Officer every year to make sure they are up to the standards Club members expect. For more information visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/certificatedsites.