Towing - Are you legal?

Club Care Insurance

Created by members for members, Club Care’s touring caravan insurance policy will protect you and your beloved caravan.

Touring Caravan Insurance

It really depends on when you passed your driving test and the weight of your car, caravan, trailer or motorhome.

If you passed your test before 1st January 1997, you can drive vehicle with a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) up to 3,500kg and tow a normal caravan/trailer as long as it is within the towing limit of the tow vehicle. This is because a normal driving licence issued before this date includes the B+E category.

If you passed your test after 1st January 1997, it gets a bit more complicated. Licences issued after this date only include category B, which means you can:

  • Drive a vehicle with a MAM up to 3,500kg
  • Tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg if the combined MAM of the trailer and car is less than 3,500kg
  • Or tow a trailer up to 750 kg

More detailed information about towing and the law can be found in our Driving Licence Data Sheet or more general advice can be found in the Help and Advice section.