Caravan Towing Law - The Camping and Caravanning Club
The Camping & Caravanning Club Logo

Caravan Towing Law

Do I need a special licence to tow a caravan?

It’s vital to understand the limitations of your driving licence before heading out to tow a caravan – let alone buy one.

The standard driving licence issued to a driver passing the test in Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland) covers categories B, B1 and BE. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 3,500kg behind it.

Don’t forget, it’s the official Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the caravan that’s considered here – regardless how much luggage you put inside (assuming you dont exceed those vehicle limits). You’ll find the MAM referred to as the Maximum Technically Permissible Laden Mass (MTPLM) in caravan literature.

The Club runs courses to help you gain confidence towing on the road and manoeuvring on site – find out more about them here. You can also find out more about local training organisations through the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency.

Your driving licence will show the categories you are entitled to drive. If you have the older-style paper licence they are clearly listed on the front of your licence. On newer photocard licences, they are given on the back.

You will find more information about driving licences on the Directgov website.

….and finally

Once you’ve checked your driving licence, you’ll need to make sure your car and caravan combination is a good one. That’s the best way to ensure a comfortable and stable outfit on the road.

And don’t forget to load your caravan so it’s evenly balanced – or all this careful matching will be in vain!