Towing and the law

One of the many advantages of trailer tents and folding campers is that they are relatively light and easy to tow. However, if you drive a large car (such as a 4x4 or a people carrier) you will need to check the limits of your driving licence before heading out to tow one. Did you know that you can get acces to free expert tow-matching when you join the Club?

The first thing you need to do is check when you passed your driving test. If it was before 1 January 1997 you will automatically be able to drive a heavier car and trailer tent combination than if you passed after that date.

Have you passed your test since 1 January 1997?

Driving Licence1v2The standard driving licence issued to a driver passing his or her test today covers categories B and B1. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 750kg behind it.

If you have a lighter car, you can then tow a heavier trailer tent, but the combined weight of the whole outfit cannot be more than 3,500kg. And don’t forget, it’s the official Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the trailer tent that’s considered here – regardless how much luggage you put inside. To complicate matters further, the MAM of your trailer tent in this instance must also be lighter than the unladen weight of your car.

If you’d like some more details on this, check out Towing – are you legal?

If you want to drive a larger outfit, you will need to pass an additional driving test to add the B+E category to your licence. This is a challenging test and most people will want to have some professional tuition before attempting it. The Club runs courses to help you reach the required standard, or you can find out more about local training organisations through the Driving Standards Agency.

… or did you take it before?

Driving Licence2If you passed your test before 1 January 1997 you will automatically have the B+E category entitlement on your licence, allowing you to drive car and trailer tent combinations up to 8,250kg, covering most conventional outfits.

Your driving licence will show the categories you are entitled to drive. If you have the older-style paper licence they are clearly listed on the front of your licence. On newer two-part licences, they are given on the back of the pink photocard.

You will find more information about driving licences on the Directgov website.

… and finally

The Club recommends you only tow a trailer tent or folding camper up to 85 per cent of the kerbweight of your vehicle. That’s the best way to ensure a comfortable and stable outfit on the road.

On the next page we'll talk about taking care of your trailer tent

Club Care Insurance

Club Care’s comprehensive trailer tent insurance policy is competitively priced and gives you insurance cover on the move

Trailer Tent Insurance