Servicing your motorhome

Your motorhome is a road vehicle and to keep you, your passengers and other road users as safe as possible, you need to have it serviced regularly just as you would a car. Get more free technical support and advice when you join the Club.

Servicing is normally carried out by a workshop that specialises in products from the manufacturer who supplied the base vehicle for your motorhome. These services need to be carried out at the mileages or times recommended by the manufacturer.

For MOT test purposes, your motorhome should be covered by the normal car MOT test scheme. In a few circumstances, motorhome converters do not notify the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the conversion and some larger units retain their original vehicle classification. If you find this is true for your motorhome – and you are required to have more frequent, expensive MOT tests – contact the DVLA for advice on changing the classification.

In addition you will need to have the living area serviced annually, which will normally be done by a specialist motorhome dealer or workshop.

This 'habitation' service will include the water, gas, electrical and heating systems, which will all need to be checked and maintained. The fridge will be checked too but any major servicing is usually done separately. The dealer should also check for any damp or leaks in the basic structure.

If possible, it’s worth getting your annual service done at an Approved Workshop. This scheme is run by the Camping and Caravanning Club, the Caravan Club and the National Caravan Council (NCC) and Approved Workshops are required to have certain standards of facilities and appropriately trained technicians.

The NCC now runs the scheme on a day-to-day basis and it has a list of Approved Workshops on its website.

If you want a service before your first outing of season, it’s worth calling early in the year as workshops get booked up quickly in spring.