Understanding the Laws and Rules Around Driving Motorhomes
The Camping & Caravanning Club Logo

Driving Motorhomes and the Law

It’s vital to understand the limitations of your driving licence before heading out to test drive a motorhome – let alone buy one. Did you know that you can save up to 30% on Club Sites fees when you join the Club?

The first thing you need to do is check when you passed your driving test.

If it was before 1 January 1997 (and you’re not yet 70) you will automatically be able to drive a heavier motorhome than if you passed after that date.

Have you passed your test since 1 January 1997?

The standard driving licence issued to a driver passing the test today covers categories B, B1 and BE. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 3,500kg behind it. As a result, many new motorhomes are built with a Maximum Allowable Mass (MAM) of 3,500kg.

If you want to drive a larger motorhome (up to 7,500kg), you will need to pass an additional driving test to add the C1 category to your licence.

... or did you take it before?

If you passed your test before 1 January 1997 you will automatically have category C1 entitlement on your licence, allowing you to drive vehicles up to 7,500kg, which normally covers all but the largest American-RV-style motorhomes.

Your driving licence will show the categories you are entitled to drive. If you have the older-style paper licence they are clearly listed on the front of your licence. On newer licences, they are given on the back of the photocard.

Check out our Driving Licences guide here.

When you reach 70 years old

There is an additional complication when you reach 70. At this stage you will need to renew your driving licence. If you use the standard renewal procedure your C1 entitlement will be suspended and you will no longer be able to drive motorhomes between 3,500kg and 7,500kg until you have passed a medical. To avoid this, you will need to fill in form D2 and ask your GP to fill in a medical report form D4. Your GP is likely to charge for this service as part of a private appointment.

You will find more information about driving licences on the Directgov website.

Club Care Insurance

Club Care motorhome insurance policies have been designed with members in mind and offer first class cover.

Motorhome Insurance