Those are this year's winners. Let's now look behind the outstanding performers, and see what the fine detail of the survey can tell us.
More of you completed the survey this year. Some 2848 complete questionnaires were received, a 14.7% increase on 2019.
As in previous years, most of those respondents bought their caravan from new. Some 62.3% bought new, 37.7% bought pre-owned. Last year those percentages were 67.8% and 32.2%, whereas in 2018 the split was 75.1% and 25.9%. So there's been a definite trend over the past couple of years, with an increasing number of survey respondents opting for a pre-owned caravan rather than a new one. Perhaps this reflects the consistently low levels of consumer confidence over the past two or three years, and a careful attitude to big purchases.
Owners of new and pre-owned caravans alike are a mature bunch. New caravan buyers have an average age of 61.4 years, whereas as pre-owned caravan buyers are, on average, 58.
The younger generation continues to be under-represented. Caravanners aged 44 or younger made up just 5% if new caravan respondents (down from 6% last year) and 12% of pre-owned respondents (down from 17%).
Reflecting the age profile of the caravanners who completed the survey, most are either empty-nesters or don't have kids. Some 81% of new caravan owners don't tour with children, although that drops to 69% for owners of used caravans.
In terms of budget, the most popular price band for new caravan buyers is £20,000-£24,999, just as it was last year. The average spend is £23,113.
Pre-owned caravan buyers mostly spend between £10,000 and £14,999. The average purchase price is £11,911.
Motor movers continue to be a very popular accessory. Nine out of 10 new caravan owners have a mover fitted, and eight out of 10 used caravan owners.
So, those are this year’s award winners. Let’s take a closer look at the survey results for any interesting trends and developments.
Some 2,483 caravanners completed the survey this year, a sizeable 18% increase on 2018. Practical Caravan and The Camping and Caravanning Club would like to thank everyone who took the time and trouble to complete the survey.
Most respondents bought a new caravan. Just over two-thirds (67.8%) are the first owners of their tourer, with 32.2% buying pre-owned. That’s a shift back towards pre-owned caravans compared with 2018’s split of 75.1% new and 25.9% used.
Owners of new caravans in particular are likely to be quite, well, mature... Some 39% of new caravan owners are aged 65-74, reflecting touring’s popularity among retired couples with plenty of leisure time to enjoy their caravanning. Pre-owned caravanners are, on average, a little younger, with 27% aged 45-54 and a further 27% aged 55-64.
Younger generations aren’t so well represented. Caravan owners aged 44 or younger made up 6% of respondents to the new survey and 17% of the pre-owned caravan respondents.
Budget-wise, £20,000-£24,999 is the sweet spot for new caravan purchases, accounting for 42% of new tourers in the survey. That was the most popular price band last year as well, when it accounted for 39.6% of new caravans surveyed.
Pre-owned buyers most commonly spend £10,000-£14,999, accounting for 38% of the used caravans in the survey. The £5,000-£9,999 price bracket is the next most popular, accounting for 24%. Together, that’s 62% across these two bands, a slight drop from 64% last year.
Those are the headline results. Let’s delve a little deeper to find out more about the survey respondents and the vans they buy.
The majority of the 2103 respondents have bought a brand-new caravan. Some 75% purchased new and 25% pre-owned. That’s a big shift towards new from last year’s ratio of 59% to 41%.
Across both the new and used surveys, our respondents are a mature bunch. Some 38% are aged 65-74, and 92% are 45 or over (a fraction down on last year’s numbers). Largely reflecting the mature age of respondents, 86% of households surveyed don’t have any children under 16 (a slight drop compared with 2017).
We asked respondents how much they had spent on their caravans. Perhaps all those newspaper stories about baby boomers having all the money are true, as some 40% spent £20,000-£24,999 on their new ’van, making this the most popular £5k price band. That’s up from 32% last year. In 2017 new ’vans costing £15,000-£19,999 were the most popular, making up 43% of those in the survey. That dropped to 37% this year.
Among owners of pre-owned caravans, most buyers spent between £5,000 and £14,999, accounting for 64% of those surveyed compared with 70% last year.
The popularity of motor-movers shows no sign of slowing, with 84% of respondents having one fitted to their tourer, up a little on last year. Powrtouch continues to dominate, accounting for 69% of movers in the survey (up from 62% last year).