Towing and the law - The Camping and Caravanning Club
The Camping & Caravanning Club Logo

Towing and the Law

One of the many advantages of trailer tents and folding campers is that they are relatively light and easy to tow. However, if you drive a large car (such as a 4x4 or a people carrier) you will need to check the limits of your vehicle before heading out to tow one.

The standard driving licence issued to a driver passing the test in Great Britain (excluding Northern Ireland) covers categories B, B1 and BE. This means you can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg (B) and tow a trailer up to 3,500kg behind it.

Don’t forget, it’s the official Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) of the trailer tent that’s considered here – regardless how much luggage you put inside. This must be within the towing limit of the car.

The Club runs courses to help you gain confidence towing on the road and manoeuvring on site – find out more about them here. You can also find out more about local training organisations through the Driving Standards Agency.

Your driving licence will show the categories you are entitled to drive. If you have the older-style paper licence they are clearly listed on the front of your licence. On newer licences, they are given on the back of the pink photocard.

You will find more information about driving licences on the Directgov website.

… and finally

The Club recommends you only tow a trailer tent or folding camper up to 85 per cent of the kerbweight of your vehicle, especially if you’re new to towing. That’s the best way to ensure a comfortable and stable outfit on the road.

On the next page we'll talk about taking care of your trailer tent

Club Care Insurance

Club Care's comprehensive trailer tent insurance policy is competitively priced and gives you insurance cover on the move

Trailer Tent Insurance