New China tours for Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays
Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays from The Camping and Caravanning Club has launched two new fly-drive escorted tours for 2020-21 to one of Asia’s most exciting and less explored destinations – China.
The two new tours, ‘Beyond the Great Wall’ and ‘Essence of China’, take in the rich and varied terrain of this culturally-diverse and history-rich nation and together visit 12 UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
‘Beyond the Great Wall’ lasts 23 days and starts in Beijing, with a departure in September 2020 and a guide price of £4,995 per person. After taking in Tiananmen Square and the sites of Beijing, the tour heads into central China and visits a total of ten World Heritage Sites including the Yungang Grottoes, a collection of 252 ancient Buddhist caves and 51,000 statues, and the 1000-year-old Shuanglin Temple.
The second tour, the ‘Essence of China’, also lasts 23 days with an April 2021 departure and a guide price of £4,600 per person. The route covered on the 2,100-mile itinerary takes in a large swathe of China’s south-west and the diverse ethnic cultures of Yunnan. Tour highlights include a visit to ancient Lijiang, a UNESCO site famed for its distinctive Naxi culture, and a trip through the famous Yuanyang rice terraces.
Donna Bloy, Product Development and Operations Manager at The Camping and Caravanning Club, said: “China is an exciting destination and the idea of touring the country in a motorhome might sound strange. However, you soon get used to driving on Chinese roads and the motorhomes hired out for these tours feature all the home comforts you’d expect.
“The motorhomes are manufactured in China but feature European design elements on the inside, making them comfy and well-equipped.”
Donna added: “The camping industry is still developing in China, with the majority of campsites located in remote and rural areas away from large cities. This is in response to the needs and wants of Chinese customers who are increasingly looking to take holidays that take them away from the hustle and bustle of urban life.
“However, we’re putting our tour members’ right in the heart of the action and they will benefit from the experience of our Tour Escorts, who have themselves completed this tour previously and developed an understanding of local roads and customs.”
Motorhomes are equipped to a high specification with on-board fixtures and fittings supplied by high-end European brands.
The tours are described as “challenging”, with sometimes large amounts of walking and issues associated with travelling on rural roads.
Motorhomers will stay in car parks overnight, keeping them near the heart of the action. A support vehicle will travel alongside the group at all times, and will be able to organise assistance if needed.
The tours will be launched at the Motorhome & Caravan Show 2019, with a performance by the Midlands-based Choy Lee Fut lion and dragon dance team. Visit the Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays stand at the NEC (Hall 9, stand 99a and 99b) from 12-1pm on Tuesday 15th October and again from 1-2pm on Wednesday 16th October to watch the performance and get a feel for music and culture that can be enjoyed on the tours.
The two new tours feature in the all-new Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays 2020-21 brochure, which is available now. Collect a copy at the Motorhome & Caravan Show, which runs from 15-20 October at NEC Birmingham, request a print version at www.worldwidemotorhomingholidays.co.uk or call 024 7647 5340.
For more information or images please contact us.
Notes for Editors
1. Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays is operated by The Camping and Caravanning Club which is 118-years-old and is the world’s oldest and largest Club for all forms of camping. It will run 16 Escorted Tours in 2020 in 8 worldwide destinations.
2. Speak to a Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays Travel Specialist at the upcoming Motorhome and Caravan Show at NEC Birmingham from 15-20 October. We will be on hand with inspiration and advice on your next Worldwide adventure in Hall 9, Stand 9-99a and 9-99b.
3. Drivers must be under 70 years old to hire a motorhome for use on the tour. Also, obtaining a Chinese driving permit involves a simple eye test at a local hospital.
4. There are no campsites included on the Essence of China tour and only one campsite included on the Beyond the Great Wall tour – all overnight stops are on specially selected car parks that provide a functional base and easy access to places of interest. This means that campers will rarely access their overnight stop until late afternoon.
5. Tour participants will therefore use the motorhome bathroom facilities at all times as car park washroom facilities are of varying quality and not always convenient. Emptying and filling up water supplies needs to be done on a daily basis.
6. Electric hook-ups are only occasionally available, so motorhome equipment runs off the leisure battery. A support vehicle travels with the group, providing assistance if needed.
7. To find out more about tours bookable via Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays, visit www.worldwidemotorhomingholidays.co.uk, or call a Worldwide Travel Specialist on 024 7647 5340.
8. Get involved: for the latest news, information and inspiration from Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays, and to engage with those who’ve enjoyed worldwide tours, visit facebook.com/worldwidemh.
9. Non-members of The Camping and Caravanning Club can also book with Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays and call on the Club’s Travel Service to build their dream getaway. A non-member booking fee of £20 applies to each booking.
10. Get inspired: for the latest videos on Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays destinations, visit bit.ly/WorldwideMotorhoming.