Club has it wrapped up for festive camping
The Camping and Caravanning Club will welcome campers’ right through the Christmas period and into the New Year, both here in the UK and further afield on the continent. Seventeen Club Sites in the UK have extended opening and will stay open until early January, while 12 more are open year-round.
Many of these with extended opening are hosting special events for campers over Christmas, with Salisbury (Wiltshire) laying on a mulled wine and Christmas quiz afternoon on Christmas Eve and Bellingham (Northumberland) throwing open the doors of its cosy recreation hall for campers on-site on New Year’s Eve. In addition to the ‘New Year Fizz’ party, the site will also hold a quiz and film night on New Year’s Day on its big screen.
Club Sites open throughout the year include Kingsbury Water Park in the heart of the Midlands, Canterbury (Kent) plus Theobalds Park (Hertfordshire) and Chertsey (Surrey), which both feature good road and rail links to London. Sandringham Club Site (Norfolk) sits in the grounds of the Royal Estate of the same name where the Royal Family traditionally spends Christmas and New Year.
Bob Hill, Sites Director at The Camping and Caravanning Club, said: “More Club members are now touring long after the clocks fall back in the autumn, swayed by modern heating systems on their camping units and plush on board furnishings.
“The Club is committed to spending more on our sites to make them better equipped for winter touring so they can stay open later into the winter.”
The Club also has several sites close to Christmas markets that are perfect picks for a mid-winter break, such as Canterbury, Oxford and Salisbury.
And further afield, the Club’s Winter Sun sites are gearing up for another busy season with 20 winter sun destinations available on the coasts of Spain and Portugal plus four Winter Sun Rallies running over the festive period. These include Marjal Costa Blanca (Spain, Costa Blanca), La Manga (Spain, Murcia), Almafra (Spain, Costa Blanca) and Alicante Imperium near Benidorm (Spain, Costa Blanca). All of them, with the exception of Alicante Imperium, offer full Christmas Day lunches for Club Winter Sun Rally members.
What’s more, all 20 destinations have plenty to offer over the Christmas period, particularly the rally sites, with activities ranging from carols on the beach to quizzes, Boxing Day swims or walks plus Christmas sing-alongs and other festivities.
Richard Grimsdale, Travel Service Director at The Camping and Caravanning Club, said: “There are more members booked on to Winter Sun holidays this winter than ever before. The numbers booking continue to grow year-on-year, with campers tempted by the prospect of warmer shores in Spain and Portugal.”
Meanwhile, Camping in The Forest, a partnership between the Forestry Commission and The Camping and Caravanning Club, has four sites across the UK open year-round. These include Bracelands (Forest of Dean), Glenmore (Cairngorms National Park), Postern Hill (Savernake Forest) and Setthorns (New Forest). For more information visit www.campingintheforest.co.uk.
The following Club Sites are open throughout the year:
• Blackmore, Worcestershire
• Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire
• Canterbury, Kent
• Chertsey, Surrey
• Conkers, Leicestershire
• Delamere Forest, Cheshire
• Devizes, Wiltshire
• Hertford, Hertfordshire
• Keswick, Cumbria • Kingsbury Water Park, West Midlands
• Loch Ness Shores, Highland
• Moffat, Dumfries and Galloway
• Oswestry, Shropshire
• Oxford, Oxfordshire
• Tavistock, Devon
• Teversal, Nottinghamshire
• Theobalds Park, Hertfordshire
Club Sites with extended opening include:
• Bellingham, Northumberland – closes 4 January 2019
• Braithwaite Fold, Cumbria – closes 2 January 2019
• Cheddar Mendip Heights, Somerset – closes 7 January 2019
• Derwentwater, Cumbria – closes 2 January 2019
• Polstead, Suffolk – closes 4 January 2019
• Ravenglass, Cumbria – closes 2 January 2019
• Salisbury, Wiltshire – closes 4 January 2019
• Sandringham, Norfolk – closes 7 January 2019
• Scone, Perth and Kinross – closes 2 January 2019
• Tarland, Aberdeenshire – closes 2 January 2019
• Winchcombe, Gloucestershire – closes 7 January 2019
• Windermere, Cumbria – closes 7 January 2019
For more information on all of the winter camping on UK Club Sites visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/year-round-sites. For information on European winter sun bookable via the Club’s Travel Service visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/winter.
For more information or images contact:
Simon McGrath, firstname.lastname@example.org or 024 7647 5094.
Andrew Robson, email@example.com or 024 7647 5291.
Notes for Editors
1. The Camping and Caravanning Club is the world’s oldest club for all forms of camping. The Club’s European Travel Service provides members with access to nearly 200 European sites in 13 countries, and a comprehensive winter sun camping programme in Spain and Portugal. It also runs European Escorted tours to 19 countries and Worldwide Motorhoming Holidays in eight worldwide destinations such as Canada, New Zealand, the USA, Argentina, South Africa and Australia, Japan and Sri Lanka.
2. The Camping and Caravanning Club has 104 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 15 Camping in the Forest touring sites.
3. Get involved: for the latest news, information and inspiration from The Camping and Caravanning Club, and to engage with those who’ve enjoyed holidays with the Club, visit www.facebook.com/thefriendlyclub, www.twitter.com/campandcaravan or check out our new Instagram page www.instagram.com/campandcaravan.
4. To view the Club’s comprehensive video directory, visit www.youtube.com/thefriendlyclub.
5. To learn more about the benefits of joining the Club, visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/jointheclub.