Club's record membership continues to grow
The Camping and Caravanning Club has grown rapidly in 2016, climbing more than 5% on 2015 to reach its highest ever membership figure of 293,360 households by the end of August, or nearly 600,000 campers, caravanners and motorhomers.
The Club, founded in 1901 as the Association of Cycle Campers, first celebrated reaching its highest ever membership figure in April 2016, but has continued to go from strength to strength during the main camping season, swelling its membership ranks by a further 12,000 households.
The Club has taken full advantage of a number of factors to reach these highs. Staycations continue to grow, with the number of Brits holidaying here in the UK rising by 7% to 105 million last year.*
Staycation factors in 2016 reportedly include security concerns around some popular overseas package holiday destinations, and the falling value of the pound since the vote to leave the European Union.
Sales of caravans and motorhomes are growing in the UK, with motorhome sales in particular soaring: As the summer holiday season comes to a close, the National Caravan Council is reporting an increase in overall leisure vehicle sales figures in the first half of 2016.
Motorhome sales are up 15% at the half year point in 2016 compared with 2015, and this follows on from 2015’s success, when motorhome registrations rose by 21%.
These figures reflect that camping and caravanning has changed significantly in recent years. Traditionally seen as a low-cost holiday option, more and more people are turning to the pastime as a leisure activity that offers an increasingly high standard and wide choice of accommodation.
At the same time, it’s also seen as helping campers switch off from the stresses and strains of modern life; reconnect with nature and spend quality time with those that matter most to them.
Darren Whittington, the Club’s Membership Services Director, said: “2016 has been a fantastic year for growth. The Club passed its highest ever membership in April and has gone from strength to strength since.
“Since 1901, the Club has helped people enjoy happy and healthy holidaying and make unforgettable memories with loved ones. We’re delighted that we’re enabling more campers than ever make the most of Club membership and continue to enjoy benefits, including discounts of up to 30% on our network of 108 Club Sites and access to any campsite on our network of more than 1,500 member-only Certificated Sites.”
Today, the Club’s official publication Camping & Caravanning, which has been free to Club members since 1907, is available online and as a tablet and mobile edition for iOS and Android devices free of charge to members. The Club’s dedicated campsite app, SiteSeeker, is increasingly used by the Club members who have opted for Online Membership, to find the perfect campsite for their next camping adventure.
Membership of the Club starts from just £37 a year, and gives campers access to more than 1,500 member-only Certificated Sites, plus discounts on ferries and camping abroad through the Club’s Travel Service. Members also benefit from preferential rates through Club Care, the Club’s nominated 5* insurance provider.
For information about joining the Club, visit: www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/join.
* Visit England, Great Britain Tourism Survey (October 2015), https://www.visitengland.com/sites/default/files/downloads/gbts_october_2015_summary_to_publishv2.pdf
For further media information or images please contact:
Rob Ganley on 024 7647 5204 or email@example.com
Andrew Robson on 024 7647 5291 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes for Editors
1) The Camping and Caravanning Club is 115-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 108 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 16 Camping in the Forest touring sites.
2) Club Care Insurance is the long established provider of insurance services to members of The Camping and Caravanning Club. Club Care offers a broad range of policies, which have been developed for members, by members, and are tailored to meet the specific needs of all those enjoying the outdoor leisure lifestyle.
3) Visit www.clubcareinsurance.com for more information on Club Care Insurance products.
4) Get involved: for the latest news, information and inspiration from The Camping and Caravanning Club, and to engage with those who’ve enjoyed holidays with the Club, visit www.facebook.com/thefriendlyclub, www.twitter.com/campandcaravan or check out our new Instagram page www.instagram.com/campandcaravan.