Club celebrates major growth in visitors to its UK campsite network
The Camping and Caravanning Club enjoyed a significant growth of 5% in the number of campers on its network of 108 UK Club Sites so far in 2016, compared with the same period in 2015.
The Club has capitalised on good weather in July, August and September in particular, and has benefited from a wider trend towards staycations within the UK, with the number of Brits holidaying here in the UK rising by 7% to 105 million last year.*
Traditionally seen as a low-cost holiday option, more and more people are turning to the pastime as a leisure activity that offers an increasingly high standard and wide choice of accommodation. Sales of caravans and motorhomes are also soaring in the UK, with motorhome sales in particular surging ahead.
Regionally, the areas with biggest year-on-year growth are Wales, where the Club’s five sites saw an 18% increase in pitch night sales, Scotland which increased by 8% and the South West of England, which also grew by 8%.
The Club’s most popular sites by volume of pitch nights are Hertford, Scarborough, Canterbury, Sandringham and Windermere.
At individual site level, Cambridge, Crowden in the Peak District and California Cross in Devon have all experienced increases in the numbers of campers, with each running unique offers on pitches.
The discounts, redeemable only when booking online, have made pitching up on more than 30 Club Sites more cost-effective for families and midweek arrivals throughout the year, including the peak camping season of June-September.
Culzean Castle, on the Ayrshire coast, saw the biggest year-on-year growth, reporting a 45% increase in the number of pitch nights booked in 2016. The 90-pitch campsite sits in the grounds of the stunning Culzean Castle itself, and now features exclusive safari tents with Ready Camp, the Club’s exciting new glamping offering.
Bob Hill, Club Sites Director, said: “We’re thrilled with the Club’s success in 2016. Enjoying our highest ever membership has clearly extended to more bookings made on our network of campsites.
“We have helped hundreds of thousands of campers enjoy a break away this year, with well over one million pitch nights on Club Sites.
“The Club is committed to improving the provision of hardstanding pitches across each of our sites to make it easier for members and non-members alike to explore the best Britain has to offer throughout autumn and into the winter.”
Profits made from campsite operations continue to be reinvested into the Club’s Site network. To explore development and refurbishment works taking place on more than ten Club Sites ahead of the start of the spring camping season, visit: www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites/site-investment/.
For more information on the Club, visit: www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk.
* Visit England, Great Britain Tourism Survey (October 2015), www.visitengland.com/sites/default/files/downloads/gbts_october_2015_summary_to_publishv2.pdf
For further media information or images, please contact:
Rob Ganley on 024 7647 5204 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Andrew Robson on 024 7467 5291 or email@example.com
Notes for Editors
1) The Camping and Caravanning Club is 115-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 108 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 16 Camping in the Forest touring sites.
2) Get involved: for the latest news, information and inspiration from The Camping and Caravanning Club, and to engage with those who’ve enjoyed holidays with the Club, visit www.facebook.com/thefriendlyclub, www.twitter.com/campandcaravan or check out our new Instagram page www.instagram.com/campandcaravan.
3) The Camping and Caravanning Club was recognised at the CIPR Midlands PRide Awards 2016, winning Gold in the Best Use of Social Media category for its annual National Camping and Caravanning Week campaign (www.nccw.co.uk), and Silver in the Outstanding In-House Public Relations Team category. The CIPR PRide Awards operate nationwide and recognise excellence in public relations and communications across Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and six English regions.
4) To learn more about the benefits of joining the Club, visit www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/join.
5) To view the Club’s comprehensive video directory, visit www.youtube.com/thefriendlyclub.