Get ready for summer with TV Licensing and The Camping and Caravanning Club

Search Press Releases

Friday 20 March 2009

As caravanners across the UK prepare for the summer season, TV Licensing has joined forces with The Camping and Caravanning Club to help people stay in the know about when they need a TV Licence.  

Anyone who has a static caravan or mobile home as a holiday home needs to be covered by a second TV Licence if TV receiving equipment is in use at both addresses at the same time.

If a TV set or other equipment is never in use at both locations at the same time, one licence will cover both addresses. Touring caravans are covered by the TV Licence at the holder’s home address and so do not require an additional licence.

The Camping and Caravanning Club’s Director General Robert Louden said:

“As caravanners across the UK look forward to summer, it’s a good time to check that you are correctly covered by a TV Licence if you plan to watch TV while you are away. The good news is that you may already be covered by your home licence, so it’s worth taking a moment to brush up on the licensing requirements.”

Joanna Pearce, TV Licensing spokesperson, added:

“We know that caravanners want to be clear about when they need a TV Licence to avoid the risk of a £1,000 fine, which is why we have teamed up with The Camping and Caravanning Club to issue this advice. The TV Licensing website has lots of useful information about when you need a licence and ways to spread the cost – you can find it on the website.”

- ENDS -

For further information please contact the TV Licensing Press Office on 020 7544 3144

Notes to Editors

If you use or install television equipment to receive or record television programmes as they are being broadcast, you need to be covered by a valid TV Licence.  Viewing television without a licence risks prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Paying for a TV Licence:
A colour TV Licence currently costs £139.50. A black and white TV Licence currently costs £47.00. From 1 April 2009 a colour licence will cost £142.50 and a black and white licence will cost £48. The level of the licence fee is set by Government.

TV Licensing aims to make it as easy as possible for people to buy a TV Licence, which is why there are many different ways to pay.

  • Over-the-counter – people can now pay at any of almost 20,000 PayPoint outlets across the country
  • Direct Debit - monthly, quarterly or annual Direct Debit payment schemes are available and can be set up online
  • To find out more about paying in weekly instalments over the counter, online, by text message or over the phone on TV Licensing’s cash plan, call 08457 289 289
  • Online – people are now able to pay online by Direct Debit or with a debit or credit card
  • Debit or credit card over the phone - this facility accepts payment from a range of debit and credit cards
  • By post – send a cheque made payable to TV Licensing to: TV Licensing, Bristol BS98 1TL

For Easy Read information about TV Licensing visit the website.

For more information about any of our payment options and concessions, to set up Direct Debit payments or to pay by debit or credit card please visit the website or call 0844 800 6732. 

The Camping and Caravanning Club is 108-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and six Cabin Sites.