The Camping and Caravanning Club is a not-for-profit organisation, which means that every penny spent with us is invested back into improving facilities and services for our members. We love camping, caravanning and motorhoming and we want to display that passion to our customers, whether they are seasoned campers or are trying it out for the first time.
Our Marketing and Communications department in has over 50 employees across Publications, Digital, Communications and Brand Executives.
As part of our offering, we produce a monthly magazine (print and digital format) for over 300,000 household members. We have a dedicated in-house Publications department that includes journalists, designers and production.
We now have an opportunity for a highly motivated Managing Editor to join our established head office team.
The successful candidate will manage all editorial production, delivering the vision for the magazine.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Manage day to day workflow and editing of Camping & Caravanning’s printed edition and its digital replicas, taking responsibility for content (editorial and advertising) and planning
- Responsibility for print advertising production, in conjunction with advertising sales agency and Editor-in-Chief
- Involvement with all print edition budget lines, with responsibility for contributors and photographic lines
- Production: Work to schedules, copy chase, track copy and design flow, co-ordinate approval process for print magazine and digital replicas
- Approve print advertisements (or request amendments)
- Sub-editing: Proofread designed pages and make amends. For all channels, sub-edit raw copy, write headlines, standfirsts, captions, fact-check
- Check accuracy and legal matters for content
- Commission writers and photographers when necessary, and conduct picture research
- Line management duties for Assistant Editor, Community Editor, 2 x Print & Digital Designers and Editorial Assistant, including recruitment and development of staff
- Deputise for the Editor-in-Chief in relevant editorial aspects of role – eg at functions, launches, meetings and approving content for publication
- Write features, news and other content for all channels
- Support all aspects of Publications team on new product development such as new digital channels in line with Club strategy and member requirements
- Support relevant PR opportunities
- Brief designers and photographers
- Pro-actively consider new revenue streams
- Generate social media content, and assist with the production of video content where relevant
We're looking for the following skills and experience:
- National Council for the Training of Journalist qualification or equivalent
- A minimum of seven years experience as a journalist from a print background
- Strong knowledge of media law
- Management experience (minimum three years)
- Strong editing skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Commercial knowledge and budget management experience
- Knowledge of all major software packages plus CMS systems and InDesign
- Full driving license
- Willingness to camp, tow and drive large vehicles
The Camping and Caravanning Club is a fantastic place to work. With a supportive, dedicated team and customer focused attitude, generous annual leave entitlement and free parking among our benefits.
If you are interested in applying for this post, please send in your CV together with a covering letter and salary expectation to Barny Barker (Recruitment Manager) at email@example.com
Due to the high volume of applications normally received unfortunately it is not possible for the Club to communicate back with each applicant so please note that if you do not hear from the Club within 2 weeks of sending your application you should assume that unfortunately you have not been successful on this occasion. Candidates selected for interview will normally be contacted by telephone and email.
The Camping and Caravanning Club actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion. We match the needs of the Club with skills and experience of candidates, irrespective of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.