Only specialist insurers fully understand how motorhome owners use their units, and tailor their policies to suit. When buying insurance for your motorhome, be sure to check the following:
- Are you dealing with a specialist motorhome insurance provider who understands your needs?
- If you’re new to motor caravanning, will you be allowed a reduction of premium based on your no claims bonus from your private car, or do you start from scratch?
- Does your policy recognise all the fixtures and fittings, so that if they are damaged, you are fully reimbursed?
- Does the policy provide sufficient contents cover for your motorhome awning and equipment, protecting you from a large replacement bill?
- Does windscreen cover include broken glass in the side windows and any scratched bodywork caused by the broken glass, and have the option of repair being carried out at home?
- How much European cover is extended in one trip? Some insurers say that you are covered annually and yet you cannot travel for any trip exceeding 60 days in one go. Are you charged extra each and every time that you travel?
- In the event of a breakdown, does your motorhome breakdown insurance extend to Europe, with no hidden restrictions for travelling?
- Having your motorhome stolen or damaged is an extremely stressful event. Does your insurer operate a claims department that understands the needs of a motorhome owner?
Make sure that your motorhome insurance policy covers everyone who is travelling. Often one person in the family will do most of the driving, but if you plan for others to take over, they will, of course, also need to be insured.