Driving regulations in Sweden are different from those in the UK. Always remember that the normal rule is to give way to the right each time you reach an uncontrolled intersection.

Speed limits vary a lot so it is important to pay particular attention to road signs. The maximum speed varies from 70km/h (43mph) and 90 km/h (56mph) outside urban areas, and between 90km/h (55mph) and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways. The maximum speed if towing is 80km/h (50mph), including on motorways.

Since 1 February 2018, Sweden was the last European country to ban the use of mobile phones while driving. Any driver caught using a phone or texting risks a hefty fine.

Many drivers underestimate journey times in Sweden. Plan your journey carefully, taking into account unknown roads, weather conditions and fatigue. Make sure you take regular breaks.

To drive in Sweden you must be 18 years old and have a valid UK driving licence with photo. A UK driving licence without a photograph will not be recognised unless accompanied by photographic proof of identity e.g. passport.

You are required to carry certain items in your vehicle such as a warning triangle. The regulations on what must be carried do change from time to time, so it is advisable to check the most up to date information before you travel. For compulsory and recommended equipment and rules of the road including blood alcohol limit, click here. It is recommended to keep vehicle doors locked in slow moving traffic and secure your vehicle when it is left unattended.

EasyGo is a European partnership between Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Austria that enables you to use your toll tag or On Board Equipment (OBE) at more than 50 toll stations in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Austria, as well as many ferry services within Denmark and between Denmark/Sweden and Denmark/Germany.

Low Emission Zones (LEZs) are proliferating throughout Europe. While the number and variety of schemes may seem baffling, in fact many apply only to city centres and so will not affect the majority of campers. If you do wish to visit cities while camping, either choose a city centre site and use the link below to check for any access regulations, or camp outside the city’s LEZ and use public transport to access the centre. Please click here for more information.

In less populated areas, especially in the north, petrol stations may few and far between. Motorists are advised to acquaint themselves in advance with the location of petrol stations in these areas and/or to fill up well in advance.

Please visit our Travel Planning pages for information on weight limits, emissions and more.


The Foreign and Commonwealth Office may make specific travel related recommendations for visitors to Sweden. For the most up to date information click here.

The Department of Health does not make any specific health recommendations for visitors to Sweden; however you may like to check with your doctor before departure.

You should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC isn’t a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but it entitles you to state-provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as nationals of the country you are visiting. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate. The EHIC won’t cover medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment, so you should make sure you have adequate travel insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment and repatriation.

If you require medication while in Sweden, remember to bring a prescription with you.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately.

Mosquitoes and midges can be a nuisance especially during summer in the northern parts of the country. Mosquito repellent can be purchased in shops, supermarkets and pharmacies.

As with anywhere in the world, it is good practise to be vigilant about your property, both in terms of your camping unit and personal belongings, take sensible precautions to protect yourself from petty crime. Don’t leave your handbag or luggage unattended. Leave copies of important documents with family and friends in the UK. Carry a photocopy of your passport for ID.