Driving regulations in Hungary are different from those in the UK. Always remember that the normal rule is to give way to the right each time you reach an uncontrolled intersection.

Using mobile phones when driving is forbidden. However, use of a completely hands-free unit is acceptable.

Emergency corridors are compulsory on Hungarian motorways and dual carriageways.
All drivers are required to create a precautionary emergency corridor on those roads whenever congestion occurs - road users on the left-hand lane must move as far over to the left as possible, and the rest of vehicles must move over to the right.

Speeding can result in heavy, on the spot fines, and your vehicle and licence could be confiscated. The maximum speed on motorways is 130kph (80mph) for private vehicle without a trailer and 80kph (49 mph) when towing.

It is illegal to drive any type of motor vehicle after having consumed alcoholic drinks - 0%.

You must use headlights on roads outside towns even in daytime.

In winter, you must equip your car for severe conditions.

Many drivers underestimate distances and journey times in Hungary. Plan your journey carefully, taking into account unknown roads, weather conditions and fatigue. Make sure you take regular breaks.

To drive in Hungary you must be at least 17 years old and have a valid UK driving licence, insurance and vehicle documents. If you don’t own the vehicle you’re driving, for instance if you have a leased vehicle, you should get written permission from the registered owner.

You are required to carry certain items in your vehicle such as a warning triangle and reflective jacket. The regulations on what must be carried do change from time to time, so it is advisable to check the most up to date information before you travel. For compulsory and recommended equipment and rules of the road including blood alcohol limit, click here.

It is recommended to keep vehicle doors locked in slow moving traffic and secure your vehicle when it is left unattended. In-car radar detectors and satellite navigation systems warning of the presence of speed cameras or radars are illegal whether in use or not.

Some sections of motorway are toll free, but for most you’ll have to buy an ‘e-vignette’. This applies to any passenger vehicles including motorhomes, regardless of the weight. You can purchase the vignettes online here. Road use authorization must be always paid for before you enter the toll section; purchased e-vignettes do not constitute authorized road use retroactively

Low Emission Zones (LEZs) are proliferating throughout Europe. While the number and variety of schemes may seem baffling, in fact many apply only to city centres and so will not affect the majority of campers. If you do wish to visit cities while camping, either choose a city centre site and use the link below to check for any access regulations, or camp outside the city’s LEZ and use public transport to access the centre. Please click here for more information.

Please visit our Travel Planning pages for information on weight limits and more.


The Foreign & Commonwealth Office may make specific travel related recommendations for visitors to Hungary. For the most up to date information visit their website.

The Department of Health does not make any specific health recommendations for visitors to Hungary; however you may like to check with your doctor before departure.

You should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC isn’t a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but it entitles you to state-provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as nationals of the country you are visiting. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate. The EHIC won’t cover medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment, so you should make sure you have adequate travel insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment and repatriation.

Remember to bring your own medication if you need a specific product.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 for an English speaking emergency service and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance/medical assistance company immediately.

As with anywhere in the world, it is good practise to be vigilant about your property, both in terms of your camping unit and personal belongings, take sensible precautions to protect yourself from petty crime. Don’t leave your handbag or luggage unattended. Leave copies of important documents with family and friends in the UK. Carry a photocopy of your passport for ID.