Driving regulations in Denmark and the Faroe Islands are different from those in the UK. Always remember that the normal rule is to give way to the right each time you reach an uncontrolled intersection. Cyclists always have right of way.
Use of hand held mobile phones while driving is prohibited. You must have your dipped headlights on even in daylight.

The maximum speed is 80kph (50mph) on motorways and 70kph (44mph) outside urban areas if towing a caravan. For motorhomes, it is 110-130kph (68-80mph) on motorways and 80kph (50mph) outside urban areas.  The speed limit for all vehicles in built-up/urban areas is 50kph (30mph).

Many drivers underestimate distances and journey times in Denmark and the Faroe Islands. Plan your journey carefully, taking into account unknown roads, weather conditions and fatigue. Make sure you take regular breaks.

To drive in Denmark you must be 17 years old and have a valid UK driving licence.
You are required to carry certain items in your vehicle such as a warning triangle. The regulations on what must be carried do change from time to time, so it is advisable to check the most up to date information before you travel. For compulsory and recommended equipment and rules of the road including blood alcohol limit, click here. For more information about driving in the Faroe Islands click here.

Roads and highways are free of charge in Denmark. There are two toll bridges. The first bridge connects Funen with Sealand and is called Storebælt. The second bridge connects Zealand with Sweden and is called Øresund. More information about Storebælt can be found here and more information about Øresund can be found here.

EasyGo is a European partnership between Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Austria that enables you to use your toll tag or On Board Equipment (OBE) at more than 50 toll stations in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Austria, as well as many ferry services within Denmark and between Denmark/Sweden and Denmark/Germany. More information can be found here.

If travelling in Copenhagen, Frederiksberg, Alborg, Arhus and Odense in Denmark, please be aware of Low Emission Zones (LEZs) in these cities. Camper vans with diesel engines are not permitted to circulate in these zones unless they are equipped with a particle filter. 
Please click here for more information. You can also visit our Travel Planning pages for information on weight limits and more.


The Foreign and Commonwealth Office may make specific travel related recommendations for visitors to Denmark and the Faroe Islands. For the most up to date information visit their website.  

The Department of Health does not make any specific health recommendations for visitors to Denmark or the Faroe Islands; however you may like to check with your doctor before departure.

You should get a free European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving the UK. The EHIC isn’t a substitute for medical and travel insurance, but it entitles you to state-provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip. Any treatment provided is on the same terms as nationals of the country you are visiting. If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate. The EHIC won’t cover medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment or non-urgent treatment, so you should make sure you have adequate travel insurance and accessible funds to cover the cost of any medical treatment and repatriation.

If you require medication while in Denmark, remember to bring a prescription with you.

As non EEA members, the EHIC scheme is not directly applicable for use in the Faroe Islands. If you’re visiting the Faroe Islands you’ll be given treatment equivalent to that offered by the EHIC scheme. You’ll need to provide proof of identity, including proof of nationality. Like the EHIC, this arrangement isn’t a substitute for travel insurance.

If you need emergency medical assistance during your trip, dial 112 and ask for an ambulance. If you are referred to a medical facility for treatment you should contact your insurance company immediately.

As with anywhere in the world, it is good practise to be vigilant about your property, both in terms of your motorhome and personal belongings, take sensible precautions to protect yourself from petty crime. Don’t leave your handbag or luggage unattended. Leave copies of important documents with family and friends in the UK. Carry a photocopy of your passport for ID.