Our guide to motorhome insurance
Before you set off you’ll want the assurance that your motorhome insurance is all in place.
The main thing is to ensure that your motorhome insurance meets all your individual and family needs and will compensate you for any mishaps and problems.
Here is a quick run through the essentials.
Q: Why is motorhome insurance necessary?
A: It is quite simply, a legal requirement. However, the last thing you want is your holiday spoiled by - theft, damage, accident or loss.
With the right insurance in place you’ll know that if anything does go wrong, it can be put right easily and as quickly as possible.
Q: What should I look for in my motorhome insurance cover?
A: The first thing to do is to think about what could potentially go wrong and then work out what you’d like to happen if it does. It may be useful to think about issues relating to:
- Travel to Europe – being involved in an incident in the UK is one thing but quite another when you are in a foreign country
- Windscreen/glass replacement – the most common form of incident requiring specialist attention
- Vehicle accident or crash – from minor damage such as a small dent in a panel to a major accident
- Vandalism or accidental damage to your motorhome – from smashed windows to a pan fire
- Road accident, breakdown and vehicle recovery – having an accident or breakdown is one issue, getting your vehicle recovered, repaired and back on the road is another
- Break-in and theft of personal items - also, what would you do if you lost your keys or if the vehicle itself was stolen?
- Legal fees – if you find yourself in a dispute, legal fees can be expensive
It is vital then, that you take out appropriate motorhome insurance and select a policy that will cover all your needs.
Make sure also, that your motorhome insurance policy covers everyone who is travelling. Often in the family one person will do most of the driving, but if you plan for others to take over they will of course, need to be insured.
Q: How do I find the most suitable motorhome insurance policy?
A: Your policy will vary in relation to the budget you have, the level of cover you require, the type of motorhome you have, the distance you plan to travel, the number of drivers and a number of other factors.
Generally, insurance companies offer a choice of policies. You will need to find out what each variation covers and what it does not cover. There are a number of motorhome insurance providers in the market but you need to be careful. Motorhome insurance is not like car insurance it requires specialist knowledge and as such, you should speak to a specialist motorhome insurance provider.
Q: How can I keep the cost of my motorhome insurance down?
A: At Club Care Insurance, you are entitled to a discount if you are a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club. In addition, premiums could be reduced if tracking, parking sensors and additional security devices are fitted to your motorhome. Other factors that will help reduce your motorhome insurance premium include discounts for safe storage as well as low annual mileage.