What to do if things go wrong on your touring caravan holiday overseas

A recent survey by our insurance arm, Club Care Insurance, found that 61% of touring caravanners travel to Europe for holidays. There are numerous benefits to touring abroad, not least that it is a cost effective way to explore the world and experience different cultures all from the comfort of your trusted caravan, but when things go wrong overseas it can be all the more traumatic.

The best way to limit the impact of an incident overseas is to be well prepared, so at The Camping and Caravanning Club we have provided a list of the biggest concerns our members told us they have about touring abroad, and what you should do if they happen to you.

What to do if you have a car accident

Car accident

If you should find yourself in an accident when overseas then the main advice is to gather as much information and evidence as you can, taking pictures of the scene if possible. Some of the data you need to gather is:

  • The name and contact details of anyone else involved
  • The insurance details of anyone else involved
  • The vehicle data of any other vehicles, including the registration number and make of vehicle
  • The time and date of the accident
  • Take a note of the conditions at the time - was it raining? What was the visibility like? - and anything else that you feel was a factor in the accident
  • Take a note of any damage to your own and other vehicles involved

Once you have done this and the emergency services have assisted you, then call your insurance company - you need to do this within 30 days of the accident occurring. At The Camping and Caravanning Club we have an insurance arm, Club Care, who are experienced in helping members to deal with the aftermath of an accident abroad. The contact number for their claims department is 01277 243000, but if you are insured with someone else then their claims department contact details should be on their website.

What to do if something chips or cracks your windows

Broken glassA flick of a stone while driving on a motorway, or even when parked up near somebody mowing the lawn on site, can cause damage to your windscreen or side windows, but this doesn’t need to spoil your holiday. Most insurance companies will cover you for window damage (our insurance arm Club Care Insurance does) so you can contact your insurance company for assistance.

With Club Care our glass partners will be able to come out to you on most European campsites and fix your damaged window while you continue your holiday.

If you should need a replacement window, glass repair or emergency glazing while touring overseas, then contact your insurer who will liaise with their glass partners in the relevant country, to meet your requirements. If you are insured with Club Care the number you need is 01277 243000.

It is always better to prevent issues occurring than deal with them when they do, however. We have spoken to Jon Scrimshaw, Business Manager at glass repairer Autoglass Specials, who offers these top tips to reduce the risk of window damage occurring while touring:

  • Keep plastic side or roof windows securely closed while travelling.
  • When travelling at speed, also consider winding up door windows.
  • Wipe sucker rings off windscreen windows to deter thieves - a thief may break a window simply because they can see the sucker ring left on the windscreen from a removed sat nav and they hope you’ve put the equipment in the glove box or under a seat.
  • Keep blinds and curtains closed so would-be-thieves can’t see valuables inside and break windows to get them.

What to do if your car breaks down when you’re abroad

BreakdownA breakdown is a stressful experience at any time, but when overseas and in an unfamiliar environment it can feel much worse. Make it easier for yourself by being prepared before travelling and purchasing breakdown recovery that will cover you when you’re abroad.

At The Camping and Caravanning Club we have teamed up with RAC to offer our own breakdown service called Arrival. If you’re travelling abroad, you can also purchase additional European cover. Arrival has been designed with Club members in mind, whether you’re towing or touring.

To purchase your breakdown cover today call 0330 159 0204* quoting RCAFARR-AREB1 or buy online. Terms and conditions apply.

What to do if your caravan is stolen

Caravan thiefThis is an unlikely situation - only 1% of Club Care insured caravans stolen in 2011 were from holiday sites overseas - but if the worst should happen and you return from a day out to find your caravan has been stolen, then here is what you need to do:

  • Firstly, inform the site manager who will be able to support you in contacting the police.
  • Once the police have been informed and you have a crime reference number contact your insurance company.
  • If you have installed a tracker system contact them to let them know so they can trace where the caravan is.

To keep your caravan safe while on holiday and reduce the risk of theft, either of the entire unit or the contents inside, watch this video by caravan security expert Tim Booth and Club Care Insurance sales and marketing manager Stuart Craig for some great security tips.

Finally, make sure that you have an insurance policy that will cover you when you are touring abroad so that if anything should go wrong you are covered and have someone who can help you continue your holiday. Club Care Insurance, our insurance arm, can provide up to 365 days European cover with their policies and will be there to help you if you need to make a claim when travelling overseas. To buy your policy you can get a quote online or call the touring caravan insurance team directly on 01277 243060.