East Anglia Castles

Castle Rising

Castle Rising Castle was builtcastle rising around 1140 by William d'Audigny, 1st Earl of Arundel, who also owned Arundel Castle. The castle and earthworks were extended during the late 12th or early 13th century. During the Anarchy (1135–1154), the castle was used as a mint, producing coins for King Stephen. Between 1330 and 1358, it was the residence of the disgraced former Queen Isabella of France.

During the 15th century, the castle became increasingly valued for its hunting facilities, rather than its military defences. It fell into disrepair and, despite the construction of new living quarters and service facilities, by the middle of the 16th century it was derelict. The castle passed to the Howard family in 1544 and it remains in the family today.

For more information, click here
Nearest Club Site: Sandringham

Baconsthorpe Castle

Baconsthorpe3The castle was a fortified manor house and is now in ruins. Baconsthorpe Castle was built in the late 15th century by John Heydon and Sir Henry Heydon. The castle was originally a manor house, which was later fortified.

A three-storey gatehouse was built in the south wall, and later a quadrangle was completed with curtain walls, towers and a range of buildings on the east side. There used to be a drawbridge over the moat. A turreted outer gateway was built 50m south of the drawbridge. The house fell into disrepair after the Civil War, but the outer gatehouse was inhabited until 1920.

For more information, click here
Nearest Club Site: West Runton
Image supplied by English Heritage