Travel advice

The Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office may issue advice about your destination.

Checking any such advice before you travel is very highly advised:

Web -

Passports and visas

British citizens need a valid UK passport for all our holiday destinations, except the Republic of Ireland (where they nonetheless require some form of photographic identity) and the Channel Islands.

Children and babies need their own passport. At the time of publication, visas are not needed for UK citizens visiting any European destinations.

Other nationalities should check their passport and visa requirements with the appropriate embassies or consulates in their country of residence well before they travel.

The UK Passport Service recommends that passport applications should be made at least six weeks before they are needed.

More information and application details can be found on the UK passport agencies website or through most Post Offices.

Web -

Driving licences

You must have a driving licence valid for all countries in which you drive.

The old-style green UK licence is valid in some countries only if backed up by an International Driving Permit. This is available from the AA or RAC for a small fee and a passport-style photograph.

In some cases, you may also need to take a translation of your licence in the language of any country you visit. We suggest exchange of such licences for the new style photocard licence, which must also be accompanied by the paper copy of the licence in order to be valid.

Both the old-style pink European Union issue UK licence and the new UK photocard licence are valid for all destinations.