Summer Berry Pancakes and Toffee Apple Pancakes
Summer Berry Pancakes and Toffee Apple Pancakes Ingredients
- 5oz of plain flour
- ½ a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- Half of one of those big pots of strawberry or raspberry yoghurt (about 200g)
- A generous splash of milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of oil
Toffee apple filling
- 4 British eating apples
- 4oz suger (I use brown)
- 2oz butter
- Fresh berries of your choice; raspberries, strawberries, blueberries
Prep time: 5 mins plus 'sitting' time
Cook time: 12 mins
For my children, a meal isn’t complete without a pudding and that includes when we are camping. There are two versions here, one for a sweet tooth and one for a whole gobfull of sweet teeth....
I wrote this recipe just as summer was ending and autumn beginning so enjoy my berry style pancake, or apple one to straddle the seasons. PYO is a great way to spend a few hours, and much cheaper way to get fresh berries and even apples.
Pancakes are ace for camping – flour, eggs, milk are basics from a local shop. I’ve added a bit of a twist here using fruit yoghurt for a denser pancake and also some bicarbonate of soda for a rise.
- Shove all the batter ingredients in a big bowl and whisk it all up.
- Give it a good beating.. add more milk if you need to.. but remember your mixture need to be pretty thick - just enough to “gloop” off your spoon.
- I like my pancake mixture to sit for a bit. I’m not sure why – I think it just feels right after it’s had such a beating and before I then throw it in hot oil. So while its getting over it... make Apples in Toffee Sauce.
- Peel and cut apples into wedges.
- Put butter and sugar into a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the wedges – and cook for about 6 or 7 minutes (depends on type of apple.) You don’t want mush.
- Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Now heat your griddle or frying pan. Add a little butter and oil.
- Drop some of the batter on. Add some fruit if you want fruit pancakes, or leave plain if you are having the apple and toffee sauce.
- Cook on a medium heat until the batter starts to bubble.
- Turn over until cooked through pop on a plate and add topping.