Simple Tomato Soup
Simple Tomato Soup Ingredients
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red chilli (optional)
- spray of oil
- 1kg very ripe tomatoes
- 300ml of water or vegetable stock
- seasoning to taste
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Taking pleasure in the simple stuff, whether it’s putting your hands in the earth or cosying up in a tent with your family, really can be very good for the soul, just like Helen Bailey's Simple Tomato Soup.
Made from basic, just-picked, home-grown ingredients of tomatoes, garlic and onions - and a good sprinkling of kindness - this soup is simply delicious!
- Peel and finely chop the onion, garlic and chilli.
- Peel the tomatoes by plunging them into a pan of boiling water to split the skins. Put in cold water before removing the skins.
- Cut out any hard bits of core.
- Put a spray of oil into a pan and add onion, garlic and chilli.
- Cook over a low heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the skinned, chopped tomatoes
- Add the water or vegetable stock, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes
- If you have a hand blend, whizz the soup before serving. If not use a sieve but really
- scrape the tomatoes through to pureee it and retain all the goodness.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with warm crusty bread.