Beef Fajitas Ingredients
- 800g of rump steak
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 peppers, 1 red, 1 yellow cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon of paprika and oregano
- 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lime, fresh or from a bottle
- Cheddar cheese
Prep time: 20 mins (plus 2 hours marinading time)
Cook time: 15 mins
Wraps are a real winner in a camping cook kit. They can turn simple ingredients into a fun meal. We do beef really well in this country.
The most delectable steak I think I have ever tried was bison steak, reared on one of our CSs, Bush Farm in Wiltshire. It was delectably velvety in texture, moist and flavoursome.
A steak, griddled simply is hard to beat. But if you're looking for some excitement for a family meal, then fajitas are great.
The steak can be replaced with chicken, but for some reason beef is more Mexican according to my husband. With the peppers and tomatoes this is a great seasonal summer meal.
This is a very easy meal to prepare and your children will love it!
- Trim fat off the steak.
- Tenderise the meat if you have something sensible to whack it with.
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a shallow non-metallic dish.
- Add the beef steak.
- Turn it over in the marinade to make sure it is covered.
- Cover, or put in a freezer bag.
- Store in the fridge or cool box for a couple of hours.
- Drain meat, and pat dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat the marinade in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then keep warm.
- Toss the onion and peppers in tablespoon of oil then griddle on a hot plate, or in a frying pan until cooked through and caramelised. This will take about 10 minutes.
- While that is happening, grill the steak on a hot plate or griddle for about 3 minutes on each side until cooked to your liking.
- Remove from the heat, let it rest, covered for 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice the steak and mix with the peppers and onions.
- Serve in the wraps, drizzled with heated marinade and cheese.