Be a Winner with the Club's Alternative Decathlon Photography Competition
The Camping and Caravanning Club has today unveiled its eagerly-anticipated Alternative Decathlon online photography competition which will see one lucky individual win an Elddis touring caravan up to the value of £15,000 whilst also making many more people prize winners!
London is set to take centre stage on a global level later this year and there is expected to be an increase in inbound tourism. However, some holidaymakers may simply want to escape some of the sporting action or the hustle and bustle of the city.
The Club has therefore teamed up with a number of organisations to promote that alternative summer of 2012 experience, encouraging individuals to enjoy the great outdoors by using UK Club Sites and the Camping in the Forest network.
There are 10 events – Weightlifting, Individual Pursuit, Freestyle, Hurdles, Beam, Relay, Discuss, Butterfly, Backstroke, and Parallel Baas – with each one having been selected to symbolise camping and those real richness, ‘money can’t buy experiences’ within the great outdoors.
To take part people simply need to upload their own ‘Alternative Decathlon’ images and answer a simple question at www.friendlyclubgames.co.uk and they will then be automatically entered into the competition to win the star prize of a caravan from the Elddis Xplore range plus much more!
The winner of the main prize will be able to choose the layout to suit them from a selection of two, four, five and six-berth models. The package will also include an SE Pack (including a BPW Winterhoff stabiliser, alloy wheels, door flyscreen, spare wheel and carrier) and delivery, via an approved Elddis retailer including a full handover.
Other supporters of the campaign, who have also provided some substantial prizes, include Merlin Entertainments Group, RAC, Hi-Tec Sports, The Monster Factory, Visit Peak District & Derbyshire, Gulliver’s Theme Parks, Carefree Travel Service, Drayton Manor Theme Park, Exclusive Lodges, the Belgrade Theatre, Coventry as well as several of the Club’s Franchise Sites (Eskdale, Bellingham, Cheddar, Thetford Forest, Dartmoor Barley Meadow and Ravenglass).
Rob Quine, Managing Director at Elddis, said: “We are delighted to be supporting the Club’s unique Alternative Decathlon campaign, which will help boost domestic tourism in 2012 by highlighting some of the most fantastic and picturesque places to camp and caravan in the UK.”
Club Director General Robert Louden added: “Our research demonstrates that more and more people are enjoying holidays at home and in particular, camping holidays.
“The Club is therefore continuing to work hard utilising various campaigns to help generate positive PR for the country as a whole, thereby supporting the economy and tourism in the UK.”
James Berresford, VisitEngland’s Chief Executive, said: “In 2010 we took just over 12 million overnight camping and caravanning trips in England worth over £1.5billion to the economy. This is not only an important sector for tourism but also an incredibly popular choice for Brits holidaying at home!
“There’s no better time to take a break in England – with events up and down the country there’s something for everyone. What better way to enjoy our beautiful countryside and coastline than to take a camping trip and get into the spirit of the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games by taking part in The Camping and Caravanning Club’s Alternative Decathlon?”
Merlin Entertainments is Europe’s number one visitor attraction operator in the UK and has offered up a number of family tickets to attractions including Alton Towers Resort, Thorpe Park, Madame Tussauds and Chessington World of Adventures for the Beam event.
Suzie Gildon, Business Development Manager, added: “We are particularly delighted to be working with the Club in 2012, which, whether you are a sports lover or not, will certainly put the UK very much in the public eye.
“We hope this campaign will encourage many more people to explore the countryside as a whole and discover everything it has to offer!
“We are thrilled to be able to give people the opportunity to enjoy some ‘alternative’ great days out with us during the summer of 2012.”
Meanwhile, the award-winning The Monster Factory, sponsors of the Relay event, has recently evolved its business, creating a new licensed category that brings true innovation and real fun to the camping market with its range of highly coveted camping products.
Prizes include the hugely popular T1 VW Campervan Tent (x2), the entertaining Dog House tent and must-have Tent Finder.
Martin Grix, Managing Director of The Monster Factory, said: “We leapt at the chance to work with the Club on this exciting campaign because not only does it reach a targeted audience who love camping and the outdoors, but it is also raises awareness of campsites around the country and promotes the fun friends and families have whilst camping.”
Hi-Tec Sports’ UK Marketing Manager Helen Durant added: “We had no hesitation in supporting the Club’s Alternative Decathlon and in particular the Hurdles event.
“Our consumers are directly connected in their interests and their hobbies, mainly by making the best of the UK countryside and the great outdoors!”
To take part and for further information visit www.friendlyclubgames.co.uk. Terms and conditions apply.
For further media information or images, please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 110-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 20 Camping in the Forest Touring Sites.
- www.realrichness.co.uk was launched on Monday, April 18, 2011.
- www.newtocamping.co.uk incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- National awards include:
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2011 Finalist – Real Richness: The List (Integrated Communications, Not-for-Profit, Consumer Relations)
- Marketing Week Engage 2011 Awards Finalist (PR) – New to Camping
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2012 – Ashbourne, Corfe Castle, Charmouth, Folkestone (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2012 – Lauder (Silver)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2012 – Barnard Castle, Dunbar (Bronze)
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Gold Winner – New to Camping (Not-for-Profit)
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Silver Winner – New to Camping (Consumer Relations)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Skye Club Site (Scotland)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Delamere Forest Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Corfe Castle Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Oban Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Chipping Norton (Silver)
- Which Motorhome Sites of the Year 2011- Dunbar Club Site
- Practical Motorhome 2010 Top 50 Sites Regional Winner – Hereford Club Site
- Caravan/Motor Caravan 2010 Top 101 Sites Winner – Sandringham Club Site
- AA Campsite of the Year Heart of England 2010 – Teversal Club Site