Club Magazine backs Spirit of Scott Expedition
The Camping and Caravanning Club’s monthly magazine, Camping & Caravanning, is supporting the British Services Antarctic Expedition (BSAE) 2012 in honour of former Club President, Captain Robert Falcon Scott.
The expedition will mark the 100th anniversary of Captain Scott’s famous voyage to reach the South Pole and will commemorate his contribution to the nation and to science. Captain Scott was President of the Club from 1909 to 1912.
The two-month expedition will begin in December this year and be led by Lt Col Paul Edwards of the Royal Logistic Corps.
Twenty-four members of the British Services made up of the Navy, Army and RAF will explore and climb in remote areas of the Antarctica Peninsula. The expedition will be undertaken in the spirit of Scott rather than his footsteps.
The trip forms part of an educational outreach programme for school children and members of the public as it seeks to conduct scientific exploration in the region.
The scientific objectives include; the measurement of orographic flows and climate, GPS solid earth measurements, circumpolar deep water (CDW) analysis, sea ice proxy measurement and UV measurement.
Flight Lieutenant Stu Quinn (RAF), the expedition’s Media Officer, said: “The trip aims to conduct examinations in remote locations to further the bounds of human exploration and knowledge.
“We are pleased The Camping and Caravanning Club’s magazine is supporting our expedition as the Club has such a strong historical link with Captain Scott.”
Editor of Camping & Caravanning Magazine, Simon McGrath, added: “The Club’s core ethos of enjoying and exploring the outdoors goes back to the days of Captain Scott and even today he is remembered as a brave and iconic explorer.
“We are proud to support such an inspirational expedition and we would like to wish all of the participants the very best of luck.”
The expedition aims to raise £10,000 for the Help for Heroes charity.
For more information visit www.bsae2012.co.uk or follow the expedition on Facebook at facebook.com/BSAE2012
Further news about the expedition will be featured in future editions of Camping & Caravanning.
For further media information or images, please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 110-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 20 Forest Holidays Caravan & Camping Touring Sites.
- www.realrichness.co.uk was launched on Monday, April 18, 2011.
- www.newtocamping.co.uk was launched on Monday, May 18, 2009 and incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- For more information about Visit Peak District & Derbyshire visit www.visitpeakdistrict.com
- National awards include:
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Gold Winner – New to Camping (not-for-profit)
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Silver Winner – New to Camping (consumer relations)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Skye Club Site (Scotland)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Delamere Forest Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Corfe Castle Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Oban Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Chipping Norton (Silver)
- Which Motorhome Sites of the Year 2011- Dunbar Club Site
- Practical Motorhome 2010 Top 50 Sites Regional Winner – Hereford Club Site
- Caravan/Motor Caravan 2010 Top 101 Sites Winner – Sandringham Club Site
- AA Campsite of the Year Heart of England 2010 – Teversal Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Family Friendly Facilities Overall Trophy Winner
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Individual Category National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Family Friendly National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Individual Attendant Team National Award Winner (Glencoe Club Site – Scotland)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - ‘Champions League’ – Standards of Excellence
- Loo of the Year 2009 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Teversal Club Site (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Dunbar Club Site (Scotland)