Duffy 'Streets' Ahead with the Club
Keith Duffy and Bob and Lyn Geary
Guests at The Camping and Caravanning Club’s Albufeira rally site in Portugal were treated to a surprise guest recently, in the shape of singer turned actor Keith Duffy!
The talented star, who plays Ciaran McCarthy in Coronation Street, took time out from his busy schedule to attend the Club’s annual Pig Roast celebrations, organised by Bob and Lyn Geary and the Boica family, on behalf of the Club’s Carefree Worldwide Travel Service.
Keith treated the lucky campers to a duet, which he sang with his father, and mingled with members throughout the weekend.
As a child, Keith was a keen camper and he said: “One of my favourite camping holidays was when I went away with four other families who also had children.
"I remember afternoons of catching frogs and visiting the fun fair. The adults spent the evenings socialising as we played together."
His love for camping is so great; Keith has even pitched up with his Boyzone band mates!
“We took couple of tents and sleeping bags and set up camp in a remote forest in Ireland. It was really nice to get away and relax- there were no pubs and lots of privacy.
“Camping continues to be a big part of my family life. My mum has a static caravan, where she spends most weekends, and my children frequently stay with her.”
Bob and Lyn Geary, who have been Club stewards for eight years, were elated by the response from campers and added: “Keith made the weekend very memorable by laughing and joking with the crowd. He kindly signed photos and spoke to everyone.
“We are extremely grateful to Keith and everyone who contributed to the event.”
To attend the Club’s Albufeira rally site or for more information on the Club’s Carefree Worldwide Travel Service, telephone 0845 130 7701 or 024 76 422024 or visit: www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad
For further media information or images, please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 110-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 20 Forest Holidays Caravan & Camping Touring Sites.
- www.newtocamping.co.uk was launched on Monday, May 18, 2009 and incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- National awards include:
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Gold Winner – New to Camping (not-for-profit)
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Silver Winner – New to Camping (consumer relations)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Skye Club Site (Scotland)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Delamere Forest Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Corfe Castle Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Oban Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Chipping Norton (Silver)
- Which Motorhome Sites of the Year 2011- Dunbar Club Site
- Practical Motorhome 2010 Top 50 Sites Regional Winner – Hereford Club Site
- Caravan/Motor Caravan 2010 Top 101 Sites Winner – Sandringham Club Site
- AA Campsite of the Year Heart of England 2010 – Teversal Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Family Friendly Facilities Overall Trophy Winner
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Individual Category National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Family Friendly National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Individual Attendant Team National Award Winner (Glencoe Club Site – Scotland)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - ‘Champions League’ – Standards of Excellence
- Loo of the Year 2009 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Teversal Club Site (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Dunbar Club Site (Scotland)