Club Set to Benefit from 'Holidaying at Home' Ethos
Domestic holidays look like being the flavour of the summer again this year.
The majority of The Camping and Caravanning Club’s 109 Sites are now open for business with advanced bookings currently up 12 per cent on this time last year.
There has also been a 25 per cent rise in Forest Holidays Caravan & Camping bookings.
This good news comes only weeks after the new UK tourism strategy, launched by tourism minister John Penrose, revealed that it wants to see domestic breaks grow from the current 20 per cent of all longer-stay trips (four nights or more) to 29 per cent.
Director General Robert Louden is encouraged by the latest figures and said: “Domestic holidays remain a popular option, helped by the ever growing cost of air travel, poor exchange rates and the widespread travel disruption.
“Holidaying in Britain is more attractive than ever, with camping in particular allowing families to drop their stressful day-to-day routine and spend some quality time together.”
The Club, which has frozen its 2011 site fee prices before VAT on all of its UK Club Sites for the first time in 10 years, is also expecting a busy Easter period later this month with both members and non-members being urged to book early so as to avoid disappointment.
The double four-day weekends generated from Easter and the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton on Friday, April 29 has triggered a surge in those looking for an extended domestic break during April. There is the potential for holiday-goers to have as many as 11 days off work.
Louden added: “I think a lot of people are looking to make the most of the break by taking off the three days between bank holidays and our site bookings are reflecting this trend.
“Campers are also great advocates of enjoying local attractions and eating local. They love sharing their recommendations which is why the increase in campers on site is also good news for local economies.”
To book a pitch on a Club Site telephone 0845 130 7633 or 024 7647 5426 or visit: www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk
To book a pitch on any Forest Holidays Touring Site contact: 0845 130 8224 or book online: www.forestholidays.co.uk
For further media information or images, please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 110-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping, boasting over half-a-million members. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, now runs and manages a further 20 Forest Holidays Caravan & Camping Touring Sites.
- www.newtocamping.co.uk was launched on Monday, May 18, 2009 and incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- National awards include:
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Gold Winner – New to Camping (not-for-profit)
- Midlands CIPR PRide Awards 2010 Silver Winner – New to Camping (consumer relations)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Skye Club Site (Scotland)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Delamere Forest Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Corfe Castle Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Oban Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2011 – Chipping Norton (Silver)
- Which Motorhome Sites of the Year 2011- Dunbar Club Site
- Practical Motorhome 2010 Top 50 Sites Regional Winner – Hereford Club Site
- Caravan/Motor Caravan 2010 Top 101 Sites Winner – Sandringham Club Site
- AA Campsite of the Year Heart of England 2010 – Teversal Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Family Friendly Facilities Overall Trophy Winner
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Individual Category National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Family Friendly National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - Individual Attendant Team National Award Winner (Glencoe Club Site – Scotland)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - ‘Champions League’ – Standards of Excellence
- Loo of the Year 2009 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Teversal Club Site (England)
- Loo of the Year 2009 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Dunbar Club Site (Scotland)