Club Pays Fitting Tribute to Former DG
Club President Keith Jackson, Director General Robert Louden and Liz Oldis at Hayfield Club Site
The Camping and Caravanning Club has opened a new backpacking facility in memory of former Director General David Welsford at Hayfield Club Site in the Peak District.
David led The Club for 12 years and successfully directed a number of projects including the flourishing joint venture between The Club and The Forestry Commission. He sadly passed away in November 2007 following a protracted illness.
The new facility was officially opened by Club Chairman Keith Jackson on Friday, September 17, with David’s friends and colleagues in attendance, as well as his partner, Liz Oldis.
Sites Director, Bob Hill said: “David was a great supporter of the backpacking community and the new Hayfield facility is a fitting tribute to him and his family.
“Located at the foot of Kinder Scout, the new unit is the perfect addition to what is a thriving backpacking area that attracts a large number of walkers every year.
“We are currently working on The Club’s £29 million network development, upgrade and improvement programme and this is just one of many new backpacking facilities planned across The Club’s site network.”
Hayfield Holiday Site Managers Kevin and Joan Nelson were equally as enthused by the expansion and Joan added: “As a site, we look to accommodate all campers and we’re thrilled we can now provide backpackers with a warm, safe area for a more luxurious stay.
“There are many natural attractions in the region including the underground caves of Castleton, the Sett Valley Trail and the ridges of Lantern Pike for everyone to enjoy.
“We hope the new facility will encourage more people to pitch up and experience the great outdoors,” she said.
The fully heated unit provides campers with a food preparation area, indoor and outdoor seating, vented lockers, boot cleaning facilities, bicycle stands and an electric point.
At present, backpacking facilities are also available at The Club’s Windermere and Milarrochy Bay Sites.
To stay at Hayfield or any of The Club’s 110 award-winning sites, bookings can be made via the Club’s Contact Centre on 0845 130 7633 or 024 7647 5426 or via the website: www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk
For further media information or images, please Contact Us:
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 109-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 110 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 20 Camping and Caravanning Touring Sites and six Cabin Sites.
- www.newtocamping.co.uk was launched on Monday, May 18, 2009 and incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- National awards include:
- Practical Motorhome 2010 Top 50 Sites Regional Winner – Hereford Club Site
- Caravan/Motor Caravan 2010 Top 101 Sites Winner – Sandringham Club Site
- AA Campsite of the Year Heart of England 2010 – Teversal Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2010 - Family Friendly Facilities Overall Trophy Winner
- Loo of the Year 2010 - Individual Category National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - Family Friendly National Award Winner (England)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - Individual Attendant Team National Award Winner (Glencoe Club Site – Scotland)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - ‘Champions League’ – Standards of Excellence
- Loo of the Year 2010 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Teversal Club Site (England)
- Loo of the Year 2010 - National Category Award Winner (Holiday Parks) – Dunbar Club Site (Scotland)
- British Toilet Association’s Best Dressed Public Toilet 2009 – Hereford Club Site
- CCC Best Certificated Site 2009 – Hill Farm CS, Derbyshire
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2009 – Verwood Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2009 – Inverewe Gardens Club Site (Gold)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2009 – Horsley Club Site (Silver)
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2009 – Delamont Country Park (Silver)
- Which Motorcaravan Site of the Year Runner-Up – Little Trethvas Farm CS
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (Scotland) – Lauder Club Site
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (north-east) – Bellingham Club Site
- MMM 2009 Camping & Caravanning Site of the Year – Thetford Forest Club Site