Plans well underway for showpiece event
This year’s National Camping and Caravanning Week (NCCW) is set to be the biggest and best yet.
The annual extravaganza, which will engage the Club’s entire UK site network, takes place from Saturday, May 23 to Friday, May 29 as the popular organisation once again attempts to raise the profile of camping amongst the general public.
NCCW is adopting an activities-led theme this year, encouraging campers to get involved and keep fit and healthy with a range of outdoor pursuits.
The event, which deliberately coincides with the Spring Bank Holiday, will give campers the chance to hike, bike, twitch or fish whilst visitors to Club Sites will have the option of getting involved in Ramblers Association walks, Sustrans cycle routes as well as on-site games and fun.
Now into its ninth year, sponsors who have already leant their support to the week-long event are the International Caravan & Motorhome Show 2009, outdoor equipment specialists Gelert and Jofli, the travelling teddy bear.
The National Camping Audit will again take place as campers across the country give the thumbs up to their favourite pastime, and there will be photography and drawing competitions for all the family to enjoy, with some fantastic prizes up for grabs.
Chairman of The Camping and Caravanning Club Keith Jackson cannot wait for the eagerly anticipated event. He said: “NCCW is a celebration of camping, caravanning and outdoor activities so we’d like to see as many people as possible enjoying themselves.
“Whether it’s on our award-winning Club, Certificated and independent Sites or at locally organised events or even in back gardens, there is certainly something for everyone during the week.
“Our members were out in their thousands last year and we want to see even more enjoying themselves under canvas this time around.”
For more information on NCCW 2009, please visit the website.
- Ends -
For further media information or pictures please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 108 years old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has over 100 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and three Cabin Sites.
- National Camping and Caravanning Week (NCCW) was launched in 2001 by The Camping and Caravanning Club. The aim of this week is to raise the profile of camping amongst the general public. Its timing is deliberate to coincide with the Spring Bank Holiday, traditionally one of the busiest camping weeks of the year.
- National awards include:
• MMM 2009 Camping & Caravanning Site of the Year – Thetford Forest Club Site
• Loo of the Year 2008, Delamont Country Park Club Site – Winner Holiday Parks category in Northern Ireland
• David Bellamy Conservation Award 2008 Gold Award – Charmouth, Glencoe and Trewan Hall Club Sites
• The Maison de la France Tour Operator Awards for Best Camping/Mobile Home Operator 2008 - Carefree International Travel Service
• Practical Motorhome 2007 Sovereign Awards – Carefree International Travel Service awarded Gold Sovereign
• Loo of the Year 2007, Milarrochy Bay Site - Winner Family Friendly Facilities in Scotland
• Loo of the Year 2007, Kessingland Site - Winner Family Friendly Facilities in England
• Loo of the Year 2007, Glencoe Site – Winner Camping and Touring or Static Caravan Sites category in Scotland