Double Delight for The Camping and Caravanning Club
The Camping and Caravanning Club had double cause for celebration last week after two of its Club Sites were honoured at Practical Caravan’s Top 100 Parks 2009 Awards Ceremony.
Voted for by the magazine’s readers, Bellingham Site, at the heart of the Northumberland National Park, was named as the regional winner of the north-east England category and was also placed seventh overall.
Franchisees Barry and Carole Howard own the site, which opens for the new season on March 13, and the couple were delighted to receive the good news.
Carole said: “We are absolutely thrilled to have won the award especially as it was voted for by the readers of the magazine.
“We are really looking forward to the new season and welcoming our guests.
“A bottle of bubbly is on ice as we speak!”
Frequent visitor to Bellingham, Susan Patterson, of Whitley Bay, added: “We visit this Site regularly. We love the location but what makes it extra special is the warm welcome we get from owners Barry and Carole every time.”
Lauder Club Site, just south of Edinburgh, helped itself to the Scottish regional title and finished 11th out of 100.
The award marked Holiday Site Managers Ian and Maggi Winter’s first season in charge of Lauder Camping and Caravanning Club Site.
“It is great for a small site like ourselves to have been recognised,” said Ian.
“We are a friendly Site with a friendly face, just like the Club as a whole, and we pride ourselves on our cleanliness and the welcome we give our guests.”
Regular visitor to the Site, Gordon Brand, from Carnoustie, was also quick to sing Lauder’s praises.
He added: “Lauder is a quiet site with well-maintained facilities and friendly staff, and it is next to a superb local pub.”
Editor of Practical Caravan Nigel Donnelly paid tribute to the Club’s sites and said: “Finding the right site can be a hit and miss affair and that is why we turned to our readers to tell us which sites impressed them.
“Those involved at both Lauder Club Site and Bellingham Site deserve full credit for all their hard work because often the difference between a good and a great camping and caravanning holiday is down to the site that people stay on.
“It is pleasing to have seen their efforts recognised.”
Meanwhile, Club Sites Tarland by Deeside in Aberdeenshire (30th) and Canterbury (63rd) also made the shortlist.
Bath Chew Valley Caravan Park in Somerset was named as the overall winner.
- Ends -
For further media information or pictures please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 108-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and six Cabin Sites.
- National Camping and Caravanning Week (NCCW) was launched in 2001 by The Camping and Caravanning Club and will take place between May 23 and 29 this year. The aim of this week is to raise the profile of camping amongst the general public. Its timing is deliberate to coincide with the Spring Bank Holiday, traditionally one of the busiest camping weeks of the year.
- National awards include:
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (Scotland) – Lauder Club Site
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (north-east) – Bellingham Club Site
- MMM 2009 Camping & Caravanning Site of the Year – Thetford Forest Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2008, Delamont Country Park Club Site – Winner Holiday Parks category in Northern Ireland
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2008 Gold Award – Charmouth, Glencoe and Trewan Hall Club Sites
- The Maison de la France Tour Operator Awards for Best Camping/Mobile Home Operator 2008 - Carefree International Travel Service
- Practical Motorhome 2007 Sovereign Awards – Carefree Travel Service awarded Gold Sovereign
- Loo of the Year 2007, Milarrochy Bay Site - Winner Family Friendly Facilities in Scotland
- Loo of the Year 2007, Kessingland Site - Winner Family Friendly Facilities in England
- Loo of the Year 2007, Glencoe Site – Winner Camping and Touring or Static Caravan Sites category in Scotland
Barry and Carole Howard (Bellingham) are available for interview on 01434 220175.
Ian Winter (Lauder) is available for interview on 07828 431832.