Club Membership Recruitment Figures Reach all Time High
Search Press Releases
Monday 07 December 2009
The Camping and Caravanning Club has broken all membership recruitment records in its best trading year since its inception in 1901.
The ‘Staycation’ has gripped the nation in 2009 with camping and caravanning becoming all the more popular.
Occupancy rates increased by eight per cent year-on-year, with an additional 46,000 Club Site bookings being made by members and non-members.
However, it is The Club’s recruitment figures which make for impressive reading.
To date, over 64,000 new members have joined The Club this year – a 24 per cent increase on 2008, whilst The Friendly Club’s highest ever monthly recruitment figure came back in July, when a staggering 9,570 new members signed up.
Of those 64,000 new members, 31,000 are families (27 per cent increase on last year) whilst 28,000 are people who have returned to camping or caravanning (22 per cent rise).
The Club now has over 480,000 adult members, and reached a landmark membership figure of 250,000 households in August.
Director General Robert Louden was understandably delighted with the record-breaking year.
He said: “We knew from the advanced booking rates at the start of the season that we were going to be extremely busy, but recruitment levels have defied all expectations.
“It has been an exceptional year with people tightening their purse strings and opting for a camping or caravanning holiday in this country rather than jetting off abroad.
“Our aim is to now keep that momentum going into 2010 and from our early advanced booking figures, it looks as though next season could be even busier, which is terrific news for the outdoor industry as a whole.”
Advanced bookings for next year are currently 48 per cent higher than compared to the same time last year.
For further media information or images, please Contact Us
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 108-years-old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has 109 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and six Cabin Sites.
- New to Camping was launched on Monday, May 18, 2009 and incorporates all forms of outdoor holidays.
- National awards include:
- AA Campsite of the Year Heart of England 2010 – Teversal Club Site
- Which Motorcaravan Site of the Year Runner-Up – Little Trethvas Farm CS
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (Scotland) – Lauder Club Site
- Practical Caravan 2009 Top 100 Parks Regional Winner (north-east) – Bellingham Club Site
- MMM 2009 Camping & Caravanning Site of the Year – Thetford Forest Club Site
- Caravan Magazine Wow Factor Award 2008 – Milarrochy Bay Club Site
- Loo of the Year 2008, Delamont Country Park Club Site – Winner Holiday Parks category in Northern Ireland
- David Bellamy Conservation Award 2008 Gold Award – Charmouth, Glencoe and Trewan Hall Club Sites
- The Maison de la France Tour Operator Awards for Best Camping/Mobile Home Operator 2008 - Carefree Travel Service
- Which Motorcaravan Site of the Year Runner-Up 2008 – Windermere Club Site