Coventry Cathedral hosts thanksgiving service to remember Director General
Former Director General of The Camping and Caravanning Club, David Welsford, who died on 8 November 2007 at the age of 58, is to be remembered by his colleagues and friends at Coventry Cathedral on Thursday 28 February at 2pm. Club President David Bellamy will be the official representative of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron of The Club.
David was the leading light in The Camping and Caravanning Club for 12 years at a time when camping was becoming more popular than ever. In fact during his term in office, membership of The Club rose from 260,000 to more than 440,000.
A keen camper himself, David loved nothing more than enjoying the great outdoors and staying at many of The Club’s award-winning camp sites which under his watchful eye increased in number during his period as Director General from 80 to well over 100.
David was a friendly and open man who loved to play golf in his spare time as well as support the London Federation for Boys Clubs for which he worked and subsequently supported until his untimely death.
Anyone who knew David through his working career in and around Coventry is welcome to join this celebration of his life. If you would like to attend the service at Coventry Cathedral, there is no need to contact The Club although further information and details of The David Welsford Memorial Fund are available online or by calling: 0845 130 7632.
For further media information or pictures please Contact Us
Notes to the Editor:
1. The Camping and Caravanning Club is 107 years old and is the world’s largest and oldest club for all forms of camping. It has over 100 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission – Forest Holidays – now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and three Cabin Sites.
2. National awards for 2007/8 include:
- The Maison de la France Tour Operator Awards for Best Camping/Mobile Home Operator 2008 - Carefree International Travel Service
- Practical Motorhome 2007 Sovereign Awards – Carefree International Travel Service awarded Gold Sovereign
- Loo of the Year 2007, Milarrochy Bay Site - Winner Family Friendly Facilities in Scotland
- Loo of the Year 2007, Kessingland Site - Winner Family Friendly Facilities in England
- Loo of the Year 2007, Glencoe Site – Winner Camping and Touring or Static Caravan Sites category in Scotland
- Scottish Thistle Awards, Glencoe Site highly commended 2006
- Tourism West Midlands 2007, Kingsbury Water Park awarded Silver
- Tourism West Midlands 2007, Leek Site was Highly Commended
- Barron’s UK’s favourite camp site 2007, Keswick