New Editor for Camping & Caravanning
The world’s oldest club for all forms of camping, The Camping and Caravanning Club, has appointed Simon McGrath as Editor of publications, a role which encompasses Camping & Caravanning Magazine.
Simon takes up the post on April 28 and joins the magazine, which has increased its ABC figure by 3.5% to 209,042*, from Group RCI, the global leisure travel provider and holiday exchange company. For 10 years he has helped to develop RCI’s European range of publications and communications and, since May 2000, Simon has edited Holiday, the RCI Magazine which is the company’s membership title.
During his career, Simon has also worked as a journalist for a range of newspapers including the Northamptonshire Evening Telegraph, where he was a Deputy News Editor, and the Buckinghamshire-based Advertiser and Review Series.
Matthew Eastlake, Director of Marketing and Communications said: “I’m delighted that Simon is joining our Club’s magazine. He brings with him a wealth of experience in journalism plus communications management both in print and new media. He joins at a key time of change for Camping & Caravanning magazine, which has grown from strength to strength and was re-launched last year to reflect the re-brand of The Club.”
Simon adds: “I’m really happy to be joining Camping & Caravanning. As the largest magazine of its kind, it’s a powerful membership publication that reaches out to over 450,000 individuals. It’s going to be an exciting challenge and I’ll be able to bring my experience and enthusiasm with me as I look to evolve the magazine further.
“I have a great love of the outdoors and intend to take a hands-on approach to my role. I look forward to getting my family out under canvas to find out more about The Friendly Club.”
For further information about The Camping and Caravanning Club’s publications, Sites and other benefits call: 0845 130 7632.
* Audit Bureau of Circulations
For further media information or pictures please Contact Us
Notes to the Editor:
- The Camping and Caravanning Club is 107 years old and is the world’s largest and oldest club for all forms of camping. It has over 100 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission – Forest Holidays – now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and three Cabin Sites.
- National awards for 2007/8 include:
• The Maison de la France Tour Operator Awards for Best Camping/Mobile Home Operator 2008 - Carefree International Travel Service
• Practical Motorhome 2007 Sovereign Awards – Carefree International Travel Service awarded Gold Sovereign
• Loo of the Year 2007, Milarrochy Bay Site – Winner, Family Friendly Facilities in Scotland
• Loo of the Year 2007, Folkstone Site – Winner, Camping and Touring or Static Caravan Sites category in England
• Loo of the Year 2007, Kessingland Site – Winner, Family Friendly Facilities in England
• Loo of the Year 2007, Glencoe Site – Winner, Camping and Touring or Static Caravan Sites category in Scotland
• Scottish Thistle Awards, Glencoe Site highly commended 2006
• Tourism West Midlands 2007, Kingsbury Water Park awarded Silver
• Tourism West Midlands 2007, Leek Site was Highly Commended
• Barron’s UK’s favourite camp site 2007, Keswick
- The Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABS) was founded in 1931 to provide an independent verification of circulation data figures to facilitate the buying and selling of advertising space within National newspapers. Today it provides independent verification of data for print, lists, databases and exhibitions. ABC is a non-profit organisation governed by a council of permanent and elected representatives from advertisers, advertising agencies, media owners and their representative trade bodies. It is a leading member of the International Federation of ABC's.