Franchisees make history with second site opening
Eskdale Club Site
(Click to download)
Sara and Martyn Merckel have made history by becoming the first Franchisees to run a second Camping and Caravanning Club Site, with the opening of their Eskdale Site on 1st March 2007.
The Merckel’s first site, Ravenglass, has been so successful that they are in a position to provide a unique camping experience through Eskdale Site. The new site has up to 70 pitches and is exclusive to tent campers who wish to benefit from the magnificent walks and idyllic scenery that Eskdale has to offer.
The Merckel’s are not only supporting the camping community through the opening of their new site, but are also actively encouraging their visitors to make a difference in the local economy through buying local produce and goods.
Offering one of Britain’s best known camp site brands, the Club has provided Franchisees Sara and Martyn with back up and support when needed, as well as teaching them how to set up and run a successful Camping and Caravanning Club Site with the same friendly ethos as the Club’s own network of over 100 award-winning sites.
From Easter, the Eskdale Site will feature a first for the Club, a newly built camping barn, which will house up to 8 people per night and will be open all year round. The barn will provide comfortable sleeping arrangements as well as dining facilities, a dryer room and a log burning fire. Campers may choose to purchase items from the licensed, on-site shop, which will be stocked with local produce as well as camping essentials.
Chairman for the Sites Committee at the Club, Mel Hill, says: “The Club is delighted with the success of the franchising scheme, both for the franchisees and those campers who choose to experience campsites with the Club. Franchising is helping the Club to go from strength to strength by providing even more places to camp. Congratulations must be given to the Merckel’s for being the first to open a second franchise site, we look forward to many more in the future.”
Sara Merckel, Site Franchisee said: “The last 12 months have exceeded all expectations. Since we took over the Ravenglass Site, with help from The Camping and Caravanning Club we have increased takings and made improvements to the facilities. We are really excited at opening the Eskdale Site and encouraging more people to get involved in the adventure the local area has to offer. The links with The Camping and Caravanning Club have really been a bonus, and have helped to spread the word about our sites. We are looking forward to continuing the relationship that has been built.”
More about Eskdale.
More about Ravenglass.
Find out more about Franchising with The Camping and Caravanning Club.
For further media information or images, please Contact Us:
1. The Camping and Caravanning Club is 106 years old and is the largest and oldest Club in the world for all forms of camping. It has over 100 award-winning sites throughout the UK and, through a partnership with the Forestry Commission, Forest Holidays now runs a further 21 Camping and Caravanning and three Cabin Sites.
2. National awards for 2006 include:
- Loo of the Year, Overall UK Winner 2006.
- Loo of the Year, Glencoe Site - Winner in Scotland 2006
- Scottish Thistle Awards, Glencoe Site highly commended 2006
- Camping Magazine’s readers voted Minehead Site as the Most Scenic Camp Site in Britain 2006.
- Enjoy England Excellence Awards, Sandringham Site awarded silver for 2006.
- North East England Excellence in Tourism Awards, Barnard Castle awarded bronze for 2006
- MMM’s readers voted Teversal Site as the Best Camp Site 2006.
- Practical Motorhome 2007 Sovereign Awards – Carefree International Travel Service awarded Gold Sovereign.