Insuring a self-build motorhome
Club Care self-build motorhome insurance
Specialist self-build motorhome insurance for your project.
Call 01227 243060 or get an online quote to set your policy up.
Creating a self-build motorhome can be a very rewarding process, plus you know that the motorhome you build will meet your exact requirements and specifications.
However, insuring a self-built motorhome requires a specialist policy that takes into account the usage of the vehicle and its structure will change during the process. At the Camping and Caravanning Club we can provide this insurance, just call us on 01227 243060 or get an online quote to set yours up.
To remain insured throughout the process you will need to follow these steps:
Insure the vehicle as a motorhome by getting an online quote or calling 01277 243060. This means that once the conversion is completed, you will not need to amend your policy.
Within the first two weeks of taking the cover out, you will need to provide Club Care with four photographs of the vehicle before it was converted. These photographs must include two of the interior, one of the exterior and one of the exterior including the registration number.
90 days into the conversion, provide six photographs of the progress. These photographs should include four of the interior, one of the exterior and one of the registration number.
On completion of the conversion at 120 days provide six photographs of the completed motorhome. These photographs should include four of the interior, one of the exterior and one of the exterior including the registration number. In addition you will need to provide the full conversion specification.
Re-register your vehicle with the DVLA to tell them that it is now a motorhome.
If the motorhome was insured at the beginning of the process for the purchase price of the vehicle, you will now need to advise Club Care of the new market value to ensure that you are adequately insured.
In addition to the above steps, in order to remain insured once the conversion has been completed, you must make sure that it fits the following specification:
- The motorhome must have a sliding door, or an outward opening rear or side door.
- There should be at least one side window.
- The bed should be at least six foot long and be secured to the floor or walls of the vehicle.
- The seating area must include a table that is a permanent fixture that has either been screwed, bolted, welded or riveted to the floor or walls. Permanently secured seating for use with a table must also be in place.
- The motorhome must have an onboard water container.
- The motorhome must have wardrobes or cupboards
- The motorhome must have either a gas or electric hob (with a minimum of two cooking rings) or a powered microwave.
- The motorhome should have a permanent gas supply pipe as well as gas cooking facilities with remote fuel supplies.
There is more information about what is involved with converting a motorhome in our technical help pages. If you need any advice about insuring your motorhome conversion or want to make sure that any of the changes you have made don’t invalidate your insurance, then please give our motorhome insurance team a call on 01227 243060.