Electricity on site
There are several ways to use electrical appliances in your unit, from wind-up torches powered by your own hands through to mains-powered microwave ovens.
Used incorrectly electricity can be dangerous, especially in the damp environment you often find on a campsite.
Use the right kit
Always use a purpose-built lead designed for your type of unit. These have special weatherproof plugs and sockets designed to connect to the site’s hook-up point and your unit. If you have a caravan or motorhome, plug the lead into your unit first – then into the site bollard. This way you will not be carrying a live lead around.
If you would like to use mains electricity in your tent, check out the Club’s Data Sheet 'Using Electricity in your Tent' on the subject. It’s especially important to keep all your electrical equipment dry. Make sure everything is kept off the ground and away from the tent fabric, where condensation can form.
Residual Current Devices (RCDs)
Wired into the circuit between your appliances and the site’s hook-up point will be a safety device known as a Residual Current Device (RCD).
An RCD is designed to cut off the supply immediately in the case of a leakage of current to earth. Such a leakage could occur if an appliance is faulty or in damp conditions.
How much power
Another thing you’ll need to think about is just what equipment you can plug in. At home you’ll probably have plenty of sockets and it’s rare to overload them, but a campsite supply is likely to be limited.
Try to use electrical equipment specifically designed for campers unless you know your kit is low powered. Don’t try to run your heater and kettle together – you’re likely to overload your pitch socket causing it to cut out and you may even cut out other sockets on the campsite.
You can find out more on the Club’s Electricity for Campers and Caravanners Data Sheet and see our Electricity in Tents Data Sheet for more specific advice.