Set on an island between the river Rhône and the Rhône canal
This relaxing, well-maintained, modern Provençal site makes a convenient base for a terrific area rich in scenery and history. There's medieval Villeneuve, beautiful Avignon with its Pope's Palace, the famous vineyards of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and breathtaking Roman sites such as the amphitheatre at Orange and the Pont du Gard aqueduct. Easy day trips include Van Gogh's Arles, the Camargue, the Ardèche, majestic Mont Ventoux and Provence's lavender-scented hills and gorges. In springtime, don't miss Fontaine de Vaucluse, where a fully formed river rises straight out of the ground.
- Villeneuve-lès-Avignon centre three miles, Avignon four miles, Orange 13 miles, Pont du Gard 17 miles, Fontaine de Vaucluse 33 miles, Mont Ventoux 46 miles, Arles 48 miles
- Modern facilities set next to a small inlet of the river
- High season – busy, especially during Avignon’s very popular July festival; lively entertainment in evenings; in easy reach of many highly notable sites
- Low season – excellent base for exploring western Provence and its Roman and natural sites, as well as being a good stopover for the Mediterranean coast
- Run by Olivier Rochette for the Campéole group of sites
- BBQs permitted (gas and electric only)
- Dogs welcome.
Dedicated accessible facilities - please ask for further details
L'Ile des Papes
has the following facilities on or around the site.
We booked the site with friends quite a few months ago to ensure we had pitches next to each other. after the long two day drive, we arrived to be told by reception that a French motorhome had parked on one of our pitches but we could have the pitches either side! Or, we could find two other pitches next to each other somewhere else, which we did but on a less attractive part of the site. The camp is quite remote with nothing else around for some 6km and wifi is quite expensive. And no one advertises that the cicadas are noisy from 0900 to 2100 and can drive you nuts!!!! Coupled with the football pitch/playarea in the middle of the site, the dam and the cicadas, its not a quiet place. Very very underwhelming!!!
- Towing: Easy
- Location: Country
- Suitable For: Families,Groups,Younger couples
Sites often charge for an additional vehicle, including a car towed by a motorhome. You should also expect to pay extra for pets and awnings.
We only charge you for extra equipment if the site charges us.
Solo campers may be entitled to reduced pitch fees on some sites.
Please proceed to book in order to find the latest prices, availability, or if you are looking to start your stay within less than 2 weeks please call us.
More information on pricing can be found here.